New comments system tonight [6 hours from this post or so]

Website — By on January 31, 2013 4:34 pm

I’ve stocked up on energy drinks and sleeping pills. So ready~

OMG Grell y so bishie?! <3!?

OMG Grell y so bishie?! <3!?

You may have noticed by now that the current comments system is literally worse than Hitler-flavored super AIDS. But you may also remember how fucked-up the last comments system I installed was (that disgusting cross between Sankaku Complex and Reddit) and why I removed that shit after six hours.

But here’s the deal: I’m not a webdesigner, and I’m fashionblind. Got any ideas for what possible comments plugin I should use? The blog runs on wordpress, so if any of you out there are familiar with decent commenting systems for blogs, lemme know. If not, we’re gonna have a very interesting night tonight as I play around with shit.

Utilize all that fucking white space on the right side of the screen.

Allow you to edit your comments. Though I may restrict this to registered users, or possibly put it on a timer (we get a LOT of spam and an editing system could be abusable).

Upvotes/Downvotes. Let everyone else know what you think of their comments and ensure one homogenous viewpoint for everything. If you ever have a differing viewpoint, get e-punished by people who are too pussy to disagree with you directly! (Note: I was being sarcastic. I hate this kinda shit.)

BBCode! (Well, we actually have this already.)

That’s it. Just warning you shit’s liable to look like a warzone tonight.

Cloah says:

Looking forward to the results of your efforts DS. :)

Humanity says:

It’s about time. I will throw my opinion into the ring by saying I don’t really want any liking or upvoting features.

The Kenosha Kid says:

Me neither, for exactly the sarcastic reasons D_S outlined above.

As far as improvements go, it might be nice to be able to preview your comments, so you can see what they look like with a non-monospaced font and all the spiffy BBCode formatting you’ll be using.

2ColouredEyes says:

Commie-flavored comment system plx; and
Upvotes/Downvotes = No or I will always downvote you. I WILL ALWAYS. If they want to, they must post what their thought is. And not use a single click to let others know what their brain cells processed.

Behold says:
Utilize all that fucking white space on the right side of the screen.

You can’t change that with just a comments plugin, it’s the whole post+comments HTML div that restricts the width (see for the actual width of the div). You’ll have to edit the CSS, and possibly even the HTML, to fix that. I tried taking a look at it, but I can’t seem to get it working without the post ending up below the sidebar. You’d probably need to remove several wrapper divs to get it working like you want to.

I could always get a new theme. Might that fix the issue?

rarely_upset says:

A new theme? Good heavens, what is this world coming to?

I’m not sure how we’d survive. I’m very comfortable with these grey textboxes…

Mushyrulez says:

comment editing is gonna be totally abused, and it’s probably more effort than it’s worth… it seems like it’s a good idea so double posts don’t come as often but you can do so much stuff with an editable comment.

Beckett says:

I’m expecting this to be like past attempts to make updates to the site, where you fuck around with it for hours just to end up giving up and going back to the old system. Should be entertaining.

Kamica says:

This will totally happen.

The Kenosha Kid says:

Oh hey, whaddya know.

Beckett says:

It’s like I’m a goddamn psychic sometimes. I’m gonna change my name to Mr. Cleo and open up a company where I give readings over the phone.