If you haven’t been following this site from the beginning, every season I add improvements to the review formula. This season is no different. However, I want some opinions on it.
Note: I will probably be doing reviews of Ozma before the new season is fully implemented. Any changes decided for the whole season will be retroactively added to these reviews.
Here are a couple ideas of how to improve the reviews:
- Heavier focus on “script quality” than just “error manageability”.
- Error manageability will still be the focus for B and lower grades, but B+ and up needs more content to the reviews. Editing is about more than just spell checking and I hope I’ll be able to reflect this here. Unfortunately, it will definitely add time to the reviews, but I think that at this level, it will be worth it.
- Priority for reviews moved to “higher quality” shows.
- Everyone’s looking for the best group for the best shows. I’m not going to focus on shitty shows that don’t matter. I’ll still do them eventually, but not at the start of the season. Outside of my opinion, I’m not sure how to determine this. Perhaps a poll (ongoing, of course)?
- Greater separation between “script” and “visuals” in the reviews. Font/typesetting/karaoke in the “visuals” section and pure English focus in the “script” section.
- Some people care about visuals; some don’t. My “overall grade” won’t change (fansubbing is a team effort), but you will at least have a clear separation.
- Additional section to the information at the beginning of my reviews – English style. If it can be determined that a group is following British English or American English standards, I will reflect that here.
- I don’t see any negative side effect to this inclusion.
- Instead of the screenshots for OP/ED, include Youtube videos of OP/ED with music cut out (Youtube likes to ban people for music, but I’m assuming with visuals that include lyrics it might be harder).
- Unfortunately, this probably won’t be implemented. It would add a significant amount of time to my reviews, and I don’t think it’s worth it. If someone can think of a better way to manage this, I’m all ears.
Of course, these are just my ideas. I’d like to see what everyone else thinks I should do to make the reviews more relevant and better.