Anime Opinions: Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai aka Haganai (Season 1)

Anime Opinions, Article — By on February 10, 2013 3:23 pm

This show is terrible.

What do a bunch of attractive, intelligent, and popular kids all have in common? Why, they all have no friends, of course!

…Yes, that’s actually the premise of the show. I wish I was lying. Seven people form a club to make friends, and even after they’re all friends, they continue to insist they don’t have any friends.

Get it? It’s IRONIC. Great joke, Japan!

fucking haganai

If only the show were as good as this image implies it is.

Were you expecting anything else here? That’s seriously as far as the story reaches. Onto the characters.

Most of these people have no redeeming qualities. And because I primarily watch anime for the characters, coming across a show where I can hardly stand a single one is torture. I would have dropped this fucking show by the second episode if I didn’t have to review the subs for season 2. But enough of my self-imposed misery. Let me impose it upon you now.

Kashiwazaki Sena

Sena is the only character in the show worth a damn, because she’s the only one that’s relatable.

If the only character the audience can relate to is an incredibly well-loved, beautiful, rich academic genius, something's off.

If the only character the audience can relate to is a rich, well-loved, beautiful academic genius, something’s off.

Unlike every other character in the show, there’s more to Sena than just her plastic anime face. At heart, she’s an honest girl who’s not as good at handling social situations as you’d think. Since she realizes this, Sena steadfastly throws herself into whatever form of self-improvement she can grasp onto. It’s that drive to actually improve her situation (which despite the stated goals of the club, none of the other members even bother an attempt at) that makes her so likable.

Sure, she’s not a unique character, but then again, what character is?

Because I like this picture.

Included because I like this picture.

When it comes down to it, Sena’s the best person in Haganai, which wouldn’t be an issue if she weren’t also the only decent one.

Mikazuki Yozora

According to the Haganai wikia, “The reason why Yozora doesn’t have any friends is because she’s a natural loner and dislikes ‘normals'”.

False. The reason why she doesn’t have any friends is because she’s a cunt. I’ll out and say it: this bitch needs to be slapped.

Or cut.

Yozora’s sole purpose in the show is to bully Sena. Now, I know what you’re thinking, you lucky bastards who have never watched this anime, “Dark_Sage is gonna cry about how anime characters are mean, while totally not getting the humor of the situation. That’s how anime works, you baka.”

But there’s no humor here and there’s no joking behind what she does. It’s just Yozora picking on someone who can’t defend herself. What makes it so uncomfortable to watch is that Sena sits there and takes Yozora’s abuse because she thinks maybe that’s what friends do (and she considers Yozora her first female friend).

But the kind of shit Yozora pulls is entirely malicious. She tries to break Sena’s shit all the time (PSP, cell phone, etc.), and takes every opportunity to humiliate her in front of others.

Every word out of her mouth is verbal abuse. It was funny in the first episode, but by the fourth episode in, you’d have to be literally retarded to not understand the intent behind everything she does is to hurt Sena. It’s really fucked up, but something I could understand if the show took one second to portray it in a negative manner. But it doesn’t. At all.

What it comes down to is that I don’t enjoy feeling like a show’s insulting my intelligence. If Yozora spends 12 episodes bullying Sena, I want it addressed somehow. Doesn’t mean I’ll hate her character — in fact, I’d probably like her more. Have Yozora reflect for five seconds that maybe she’s being a cunt, and have her resolve to actually try to be a decent friend — that’s easy, easy character development. But when you play it off as a joke all the time, that’s when I feel you’re taking me for an idiot.

Perhaps it’s not Yozora I hate so much as the show itself.

“Oh, Sena’s getting bullied. Better put on an exasperated expression, shrug my shoulders, look at the camera, and then wait for the laugh track.”

This guy’s supposedly the main character of the show, but that appears to be his only purpose. I’m trying to think of something else to put here, but he’s so utterly forgettable I can’t come up with anything. Gomen.

The Rest

I’d like to spend some more time on these chara– Haha, fooled you. No, I’d rather not spend a second more talking about this show than I have to. All of them are quirky for the sake of being quirky and that’s it. There’s no character development either — they’re just there to fill up the arbitrary number of club spots the creator of the series wanted.

We have:

Ignore the two girls you already know.

Ignore the two girls you already know.

• (Bottom left.) The perverted scientist/engineer/genius girl who thinks machines are just so lewd.
  • (Upper left.) A ten-year-old nun who’s also a teacher who’s also retarded.
  • (Upper right.) Kodoka’s sister. She thinks she’s a goth loli vampire.
  • (Bottom right.) Some girl who pretends she’s a guy and wants to be a manly man, but dresses up in a maid outfit for the majority of the show.

Goddamn, Japan. I know you like pandering to idiots, but there’s only so far you can stoop. These characters are a waste of anime space. Please stop.

The music in this show sucks, the lipstick on all the characters is gaudy, the only good episode was half-recap, and the humor is terrible.

This show is shit and nobody should watch it.

But Sena is incredibly hot, so I’ll give it a 6/10.

Tags: , , ,

TouToTheHouYo says:

Can’t argue with that PLOT.

kayserlein says:

I love how you always make the whole article pointless and raise a show’s rating by just one simple argument in the end

Nash says:

Kodaka! Finally a strong male lead in a silly pseudo harem!

Who wouldn’t like such delicious Meat?

Personally I enjoyed the show quite a lot. Although Yozora was irritating me sometimes. Just a little bit though.

Rukako says:

>Who wouldn’t like such delicious Meat?
Me. I’ve always liked Rika more.

Qrius says:

I was pretty hyped for the show after seeing the Ep0 OVA, but it was rather boring… It’s especially terrible when they try to pretend there is actually some kind of plot, lol. Buriki’s art is nice though.

chestnut says:

Lipstick is an interesting thing IMHO, also I love op/ed of the first season. But I haven’t seen past the first ep.

Fleppensteyn says:

I didn’t give the show much thought when I watched it so I never noticed a lot of the things you pointed out.
This isn’t enough for me to drop the second season, but now it will be more difficult to enjoy it! Thanks dark_sage

Also, I noticed fading subtitle on the PLOT in the last screenshot.

Someone’s taking a show that does take itself seriously too seriously.

If you can’t into analysis, that’s no one’s fault but your own.

*doesn’t take itself seriously

>Can’t into Engrish either

Surely you’re not questioning Dark_Sage’s taste, kokujin-kun? Heaven forbid!

“can’t into analysis” D_S volleys back!

I actually agree with one of your shitty anime opinions for once.

njd09 says:

You couldn’t be more wrong if you tried. At least you got one thing right, and that’s that Sena is awesome. Oh, and for the record, I personally find this to be the funniest anime I’ve ever seen. I’ve looked for funnier ones, but haven’t found any. For some reason, you’re overanalyzing a fun, hilarious show by trying to take the comedy out of it and make it be about, what, relatable characters? Fuck that. I can’t relate to Rika’s love of mecha BL, but it’s still absolutely hilarious. I don’t see why “quirky” characters are a problem in a comedy, personally. Yozora brings out the best in Sena, just like Sena brings out the best in Kobato. My guess is that its humor is just not for you and since you weren’t laughing at the show, you assumed it wasn’t a comedy and spent the entire time watching it thinking about why the characters aren’t like real people, which would honestly be the most boring “comedy” of all time. That’s about all I can come up with. I can understand if you gave it a 1 because you didn’t think it was funny, but you gave it a 6 because it wasn’t deep or realistic enough? A harem comedy? I’d be interested to see what show in the genre you think is better.

Anon-kun says:

>I personally find this to be the funniest anime I’ve ever seen

Stopped reading there.

There have been very few anime to actually make me laugh, and even fewer have been able to make me laugh continuously. So I don’t really judge “comedies” based on humor.

Instead, I judge these kinds of shows based on how much I liked the characters and how good the character interactions were. And because I didn’t like the characters or their interactions, I didn’t like the show. It’s that simple.

Yozora and Sena’s relationship is predicated upon bullying, and that’s not something I’m going to ignore just because there’s a wacky soundtrack playing in the background. The show’s stupidly blatant about it too — I’d almost think the animators were mocking the fans, were there any sort of moral behind it.

As for my “quirky” comment, there has to be a purpose for characters, even if that purpose is for there not to be one. Less confusingly: if you’re including a character in a series, there should be a reason for it. And I didn’t find a reason for any of the other characters to appear in the show beyond Sena/Yozora/Kodaka. Everyone other than those 3 are just filler, and I don’t like filler.

njd09 says:

Well, if you didn’t think they were funny, then you’re right – there’s no real purpose to any of the other characters besides the main 3, but I don’t think there’s any real purpose to the entire show other than humor. It’s not like there’s some crazy story involved. I wouldn’t like the show either if I wasn’t laughing for 3/4 of every episode. I only grew to like the characters because I think they’re hilarious together. If you’re gonna judge a comedy on something other than its humor, then I expect you’ll get similar results with these kinds of shows almost every time.

You may consider the other characters filler, but I think Rika, for instance, is way funnier than Yozora, and I like her a lot better. No, she’s not integral to the story, but is there really a story? Not so much. As for the bullying thing, I don’t really see any problem with it. Yes, Yozora’s a bitch, but I don’t think that makes her antics any less funny. Maybe that’s me being a bad person, but I seriously don’t think it’s a big deal at all. That’s the routine that Yozora and Sena have. It’s not like we’re seeing Sena go home and cut her wrists or something after this happens – it’s all a joke.

tl;dr What I got out of your reply is that you don’t like “wacky” anime humor, and if that’s the case, then I totally understand why you didn’t like this show.

Marow says:

This isn’t “wacky” humour. It’s not even well-executed.

Just wanted to tell you that.

I’m vaguely interested to know what series made D_S laugh. I generally don’t watch comedy series either (because a lot of them are pretty unfunny) but there are a few good ones out there. You’d be hard-pressed to beat Sunred for humour, for instance. But generally, I think comedy is something that anime – in general – doesn’t do very well, relying too heavily on clichés and tropes and unbelievable situational comedy.

Full Metal Panic Fumoffu. Nichibros gave me a few chuckles over the duration of the series but not many. There are a couple more but I can’t remember off the top of my head.

Kamica says:

You don’t even have to look hard to find a comedy anime that’s better than Haganai. There’s one airing this season. It’s called Minami-Ke Tadaima.

Chestnut says:

What you’ve written:
I personally find this to be the funniest anime I’ve ever seen.
What I’ve read:
I personally haven’t seen more than 10 series and I consider Naruto to be the best adult-oriented series there is.

Progeusz says:

>I personally find this to be the funniest anime I’ve ever seen
I pity you.

Yumi-chan says:

NIAIK says:

srsly, what does that mean? I’ve been pondering about it for a while now…
(Was a bit too shy to ask, but the curiosity got the better of me!)

stushi says:

Google is your friend.
Never forget that…:'(

NIAIK says:

Yeah, forgot about it, but also wanted you guys to answer it.

Marow says:

The second season is surprisingly an improvement upon the first. The art is much better (thank god, I love Buriki’s art so the first season was painful for me) and the general exection is a tad more… exciting?

Juular says:

I don’t know why people love this show much. S1 was pretty meh, and S2 hasn’t been much better.

ShaRose says:

I totally agree. It’s really really rare for me to actually drop anime without any intention of continuing, but this was so bad by episode 3 I was thinking to myself: “Why the hell am I even watching this shit?”. Even after episode 1 I thought it’d MAYBE get better, but by episode 3 I just gave up.

And this coming from the guy who still watched all of SAO knowing it was gonna keep getting shittier.

No says:

But if he actually does do something, then people will complain his character is ruined and that it is never okay to beat someone.

I’m not suggesting he beat her like Kyon’s last girlfriend. Calling her out on her bullshit would go a long way.

damon says:

lol who is kyon’s last girlfriend? I didn’t get your joke.

Progeusz says:

Dark_Sage, you should watch this vid

Please tell me those two chairs have their own series. Better than (and funnier than) 95% of anime being released today…

Progeusz says:

I wish. Great stuff, easily beating most anime comedies.

Kamica says:

Apparently they DO have a series. There’s one for nyaruko.

Too bad it’s not translated. Maybe someone can trap Lyger or somebody else into doing it…

So Japan CAN be funny.

TouToTheHouYo says:

Well, that was surreal.

fnord says:

I am aghast that I should find myself in agreement with Dark_Sage.

Haganai is seriously one of the worst shows under the sun.

peeaivo says:

haganai best show ever. your taste is just too shallow to understand the profoundness of the carefully woven plot :(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Adams64 says:

Make us understand then!

peeaivo says:

i would if i could. the truth would blow your minds to smithereens :( and we wouldnt want that, would we?

NIAIK says:

Em, I do have a question, How many of you know what sarcasm means?

peeaivo says:

i dont. please elaborate on the matter.

NIAIK says:

The truth would definitely blow your mind to smithereens, I personally don’t mind that, but I wouldn’t want to cover the monitor with shit(ty stuff).
:D :P

peeaivo says:

(☞゚∀゚)☞ OU

stushi says:

Wow, so I can agree with you on at least one anime.
I too, think it was horrible. I couldn’t stand more than 3 episodes…ugh.

Nyangoro says:

Haganai is bad.

Which is why it is best.

That’s how anime works.

Anon-kun says:

So is Hadena the best sub group?

Nyangoro says:

Hadena? Please.

They are a Duwang wannabe and everyone knows it.

Starra says:

I like Haganai, but I am perfectly aware of how terrible it is.

MyXoMoPBL says:

haganai is great fuck you d_s

you really shouldn’t call yourselves whine subs call yourselves troll subs better giving all those unprofessional reviews tat sound so one-sided most of the time almost like your making a mockery of those translators pointing out their mistakes n anime reviewers out there and probably who knows? u say such stuff just to feel good bout yourself like im better ur not i should probably ask a ‘real’ anime reviewer to see ur so called reviews and see what he thinks what a joke………..

Heads up, guys. We got a live one here.

csb says:

I’m not a native and didn’t understand the whole thing. Can someone decipher that, please?

I don’t speak very good Retard, but I think he likes what I’m doing here and wants me to keep up the good work.

stushi says:

Aw…he probably wants an autograph as well, but is too shy to ask directly.

AJK says:

It was obvious (TOO much, I might add)that Dark_Sage was clearly trying to troll the readership by picking on one of the currently most successful and popular franchises. The whole point of this site is to make unfair one-side opinions and mockery, that’s the appealing of this site.

I don’t think I can congratulate you on that, though. It was pretty clear that you went for the troll on this one, it felt like reading one encyclopedia dramatica article. I didn’t enjoy it much.

On a serious and personal note, I hated the anime. Too much skipped material. Even the manga is better. To anyone attempting to watch this show for the first time: READ THE NOVELS. Skip the anime.

The genesis of this article was the Haganai conversation we had in the Review Queue.

I mentioned watching the show was uncomfortable for me, and then others said they felt that way too. Like it or not, the scores I give in my Anime Opinions articles are actually my honest opinions. Yes, I write like an asshole, but that’s how I always write. Don’t assume an article is trolling you simply because you disagree with it. You may find that not everybody thinks the same as you.

By the way, I don’t particularly appreciate you samefagging on my site. If your opinions have merit, they’ll stand on their own.

Urizithar says:

Well, I like Kobato (goth loli) but don’t think Sena is somewhat better or more special than others. All in all though characters are retarded and anime is quite pointles so +1.

dae-kun says:

I love Sena. I will endure everything else just to see her delicious pout. She is, for lack of a better term, my waifu.

cobra34 says:

This is one of the best shows I’ve ever SEEN. Thanks Dark_sage for talking (and trying to troll your readership) about this wonderful show! Now, I’m reading the manga and the light novels and I’M LOVING it. No wonder this title was a BEST SELLER in Japan.

Nevreen says:

Really? Three identities? Also, Japan has shit taste (how the fuck is Shinsekai doing poorly?), so that’s a pretty terrible metric to go by.

Toshika says:

Haganai is shit and shinsekai is awesome? What drug are you on?

Nevreen says:

Apparently one that allows me to distinguish good shows from bad ones. Maybe you should try it.

Humanity says:

He thinks popularity = quality

Kenshin_sama says:

I won’t try to say that Haganai isn’t a crappy anime, but Shinsekai isn’t exactly great either.

stushi says:

1. Yes. I watched 3 episodes but couldn’t stand anything more.
2. Anime. Watching something enjoyable releases dopamine, which is the hormone that makes you want to do stuff again and again, basically. So it counts as a drug in my book.

You may proceed to strangle yourself now. But of course, you wouldn’t be able to, since your body’s self-mechanism is smarter than you and won’t let you kill yourself. So I suggest you ask a close friend or relative.

Nyangoro says:

I don’t understand how people who like Haganai can’t like Shin Sekai Yori.

The latter has lesbians. This should be a natural progression, dammit!

holyfuckingshitareyouseriousnigga says:

Holy fucking shit you shit eating cum guzzling faggot ass mark ass trick bitch. How the fuck can you think Sena is tolerable. The only way you can think that is if you like to run tricks on the corner of crenshaw while your mom gets fucking #rekt by indian penis. Holy fuck, this anime is shit but you are a retard and should eat shit cum and die out your ass.

LuneSave says:

YEAH, what this guy said! Every other character is 100x more redeemable then Sena. Normalfags can go die!

You tell him, boss!

Insignia says:

Haganai was a decent show. i liked it. just sayin. maybs different tastes? it was quite amusing though it relied a little more on fanservice then comedy then the LN. But i didn’t mind. its k. actually hoping for season 3.