Fansub Review: [Lag-Taka] Shingeki no Kyojin (Episode 06)

B-Tier, Fansub Review — By on May 22, 2013 5:50 am

This post was written by Dark_Sage. He is Dark_Sage.

Twitter YouTube   


21st century anime fansubs | got a lot of seeders but I’d rather watch some dubs

True story. I prefer dubs to subs.

Table of Contents

Release Information

Visual Quality

Script Quality

Results

Release Information

Episode details.

Release format: MKV (435 MB, 10-bit)

Japanesiness: No honorifics.

English style: American English.

Encoding details: http://pastebin.com/4yeSWSzX

Speed: Slow (>48 hours)

Note: I used to QC for this group’s Shingeki, but I got tired of the shitty scripts they kept handing me (it’s not the QC’s job to edit), so I quit.

Since I have a tenuous relation with this release (due to my involvement in previous episodes), I should note I may be biased toward it. …or biased against it. Whichever fits the narrative you prefer.

 

External links.

Group websitehttp://lag.lawl.it/  http://www.takafansubs.com/index.php

IRC channel: #[email protected]  #[email protected]

Fansub.co screenshot comparisons: http://fansub.co/shingeki-no-kyojin/

Subbusu screenshot comparisons: http://www.subbusu.com/view.php?id=8

 

 

Visual Review

Karaoke.

[Lag-Taka]_Shingeki_no_Kyojin_-_06_[720p][A76C472D].mkv_snapshot_00.18_[2013.05.22_03.08.12] [Lag-Taka]_Shingeki_no_Kyojin_-_06_[720p][A76C472D].mkv_snapshot_00.39_[2013.05.22_03.08.48] [Lag-Taka]_Shingeki_no_Kyojin_-_06_[720p][A76C472D].mkv_snapshot_00.49_[2013.05.22_03.09.05]

Opening. I fucking love this. The karaoke shifts through three types depending on what part of the OP it is. The color choice is perfect and the karaoke shifts keep people’s attention. When the OP gets crazy with the colors, the karaoke scales back, but when that’s over, the kara goes balls to the walls with the KFX. And the fire effects on the intro/outro are pleasing to the eye.

No complaints, only love.

Rating: Great.

 

[Lag-Taka]_Shingeki_no_Kyojin_-_06_[720p][A76C472D].mkv_snapshot_23.05_[2013.05.22_03.13.13] [Lag-Taka]_Shingeki_no_Kyojin_-_06_[720p][A76C472D].mkv_snapshot_23.30_[2013.05.22_03.14.01]

Ending. Much like the OP, when the tone shifts, so does the karaoke. They still played it relatively safe with the font choice, but this is about as good as it gets for white with a black outline.

Rating: Good.

 

 

Typesetting.

[Lag-Taka]_Shingeki_no_Kyojin_-_06_[720p][A76C472D].mkv_snapshot_00.10_[2013.05.22_03.07.56]

[Lag-Taka]_Shingeki_no_Kyojin_-_06_[720p][A76C472D].mkv_snapshot_01.32_[2013.05.22_00.32.59]

[Lag-Taka]_Shingeki_no_Kyojin_-_06_[720p][A76C472D].mkv_snapshot_10.12_[2013.05.22_01.52.41]

[Lag-Taka]_Shingeki_no_Kyojin_-_06_[720p][A76C472D].mkv_snapshot_10.17_[2013.05.22_01.53.20] [Lag-Taka]_Shingeki_no_Kyojin_-_06_[720p][A76C472D].mkv_snapshot_10.24_[2013.05.22_01.53.30] [Lag-Taka]_Shingeki_no_Kyojin_-_06_[720p][A76C472D].mkv_snapshot_23.52_[2013.05.22_03.14.32] [Lag-Taka]_Shingeki_no_Kyojin_-_06_[720p][A76C472D].mkv_snapshot_24.05_[2013.05.22_02.13.31]

Everything fits in very cleanly. Lag-Taka did pretty well here.

 

 

Script Review

Main Script.

If you’re looking for typos/grammatical fuck-ups to laugh at, you might want to keep your eyes peeled for another review. Lag-Taka’s problem is their shitty writing skills more than their inability to check for errors using Microsoft Word’s spellcheck.

 

[Lag-Taka]_Shingeki_no_Kyojin_-_06_[720p][A76C472D].mkv_snapshot_02.34_[2013.05.22_01.14.59] [Lag-Taka]_Shingeki_no_Kyojin_-_06_[720p][A76C472D].mkv_snapshot_02.37_[2013.05.22_01.14.49]

These two lines come right after each other. The problem here is the use of “they”, because the lines refer to two different groups — the Titans and Armin’s comrades, respectively — leading to confusion.

You’re probably still going to get the gist of the scene, even with how it’s written, but that doesn’t mean Lag-Taka gets a pass just because you’re able to connect the dots. This isn’t Highlights for Kids.

[Lag-Taka]_Shingeki_no_Kyojin_-_06_[720p][A76C472D].mkv_snapshot_02.46_[2013.05.22_01.29.57]

The use of “for good” here indicates he was following a statement or sentiment that included “shut up”.

I think what Lag-Taka wanted to go for was “If you keep talking like that, I may just have to shut you up… for good!”

The line needs to be phrased in a specific way to match how people actually speak. I think it’s about time we come up with a term for that kind of thing, though. How about “grammar”?

[Lag-Taka]_Shingeki_no_Kyojin_-_06_[720p][A76C472D].mkv_snapshot_03.03_[2013.05.22_01.15.52] [Lag-Taka]_Shingeki_no_Kyojin_-_06_[720p][A76C472D].mkv_snapshot_03.05_[2013.05.22_01.15.58]

This is supposed to be in response to a scene where lesbian-chan says Armin is a worthless piece of shit but then goes into “lol of course I was just playing around, look at me I’m so whacky” mode to defuse the situation.

Lag-Taka’s “Yeah.” here is the biggest issue, because there’s no reason for Connie to respond with that.

His line is closer to “All right, I guess she’s just messing around a bit more than she usually does.”

[Lag-Taka]_Shingeki_no_Kyojin_-_06_[720p][A76C472D].mkv_snapshot_07.39_[2013.05.22_01.38.55]

Ineffective, stale dialogue is the name of the Lag-Taka game. And they apparently want to win.

  • “Why are you all just standing around?”
  • “Why are you people still here?”
  • “Why haven’t you all evacuated yet?”

All of those are vastly superior to the thoughtless dialogue displayed above.

 

It would be silly to say this example kills the release by itself. But take it into consideration with the rest of the episode. If all you’re getting is streamlined generitranslations, you’re not getting the full picture. May as well just try it raw and see if you get a similar experience.

You deserve decent scripts for this show, and you’re probably not going to get that with this group’s releases.

[Lag-Taka]_Shingeki_no_Kyojin_-_06_[720p][A76C472D].mkv_snapshot_07.49_[2013.05.22_01.40.15] [Lag-Taka]_Shingeki_no_Kyojin_-_06_[720p][A76C472D].mkv_snapshot_07.59_[2013.05.22_01.40.31]

Do you even tense?

[Lag-Taka]_Shingeki_no_Kyojin_-_06_[720p][A76C472D].mkv_snapshot_08.20_[2013.05.22_01.50.34]

Protip: “others” can be used in place of “other people” here. It allows you to relay the same information while shortening the sentence and avoiding repetition. And there’s not a single downside to it. Good English is like a miracle drug~ ^_^

[Lag-Taka]_Shingeki_no_Kyojin_-_06_[720p][A76C472D].mkv_snapshot_10.38_[2013.05.22_01.53.53]

With the way this is phrased, it seems like Mikasa’s mom is referring to the embroidery that Mikasa just made.

Unless Mikasa is a time traveler, this is wrong. Try “Our family has practiced the art of embroidery for many generations.”

[Lag-Taka]_Shingeki_no_Kyojin_-_06_[720p][A76C472D].mkv_snapshot_14.07_[2013.05.22_01.57.46]

This sounds as villainous as a Team Rocket line.

[Lag-Taka]_Shingeki_no_Kyojin_-_06_[720p][A76C472D].mkv_snapshot_16.58_[2013.05.22_02.00.45]

It’s like Lag-Taka’s coming up with lines by throwing turnips at keyboards. And by turnips, I mean their staff (sorry turnips, that comparison was unfair).

“I believe you’ve met my father before.”

[Lag-Taka]_Shingeki_no_Kyojin_-_06_[720p][A76C472D].mkv_snapshot_17.02_[2013.05.22_02.01.14]

Eren went to Mikasa’s house so his father could give him a check-up? Thanks for clearing that up, Lag-Taka. I sure would’ve been confused if the line was “He took me along to visit you during your check-up.” {Do note it’s either “check-up” or “checkup”, but never “check up”.}

[Lag-Taka]_Shingeki_no_Kyojin_-_06_[720p][A76C472D].mkv_snapshot_17.43_[2013.05.22_02.02.05]

“shitty brat”. Lag-Taka: insult masters, 2013

[Lag-Taka]_Shingeki_no_Kyojin_-_06_[720p][A76C472D].mkv_snapshot_19.51_[2013.05.22_02.05.38] [Lag-Taka]_Shingeki_no_Kyojin_-_06_[720p][A76C472D].mkv_snapshot_19.53_[2013.05.22_02.05.44]

Though these lines are back-to-back, “they” does not refer to the same group of people.

Yes, that’s problematic.

[Lag-Taka]_Shingeki_no_Kyojin_-_06_[720p][A76C472D].mkv_snapshot_20.29_[2013.05.22_02.06.32] [Lag-Taka]_Shingeki_no_Kyojin_-_06_[720p][A76C472D].mkv_snapshot_20.37_[2013.05.22_02.10.18]

By repeating “home”, Lag-Taka is essentially having Mikasa say “I no longer have a home, because I don’t have a home.” While that’s technically accurate, I’m sure the more astute among you can tell why I don’t think it’s going to win a Fansub Pullitzer.

“I no longer have somewhere to return.”

 

 

Other stuff — I’m too tired to take more screenshots.

Spoiler:

Vary the word use. “you” shouldn’t be used four times in a row. :/

This is a very common issue in the release.

Dialogue: 0,0:01:47.78,0:01:48.87,SnK main,Springer,0000,0000,0000,,Have you snapped out of it?
Dialogue: 0,0:01:48.87,0:01:50.04,SnK main,Springer,0000,0000,0000,,Are you all right?
Dialogue: 0,0:01:50.04,0:01:52.13,SnK main,Springer,0000,0000,0000,,Were you hurt?
Dialogue: 0,0:01:52.13,0:01:53.37,SnK main,Springer,0000,0000,0000,,What happened to your squad?

 

You might want to try writing “revelations” that make sense.

Dialogue: 0,0:03:52.41,0:03:55.08,SnK – Italics,Armin,0000,0000,0000,,The strong devour the weak.
Dialogue: 0,0:03:55.58,0:03:59.09,SnK – Italics,Armin,0000,0000,0000,,It really is that simple.
Dialogue: 0,0:03:59.98,0:04:02.84,SnK – Italics,Armin,0000,0000,0000,,It’s just that my friends tried…
Dialogue: 0,0:04:05.59,0:04:10.18,SnK – Italics,Armin,0000,0000,0000,,…to join the strong ones.

 

I’m sure you can come up with something better than “small fry”.

Dialogue: 0,0:06:11.47,0:06:13.71,SnK main,fatso,0000,0000,0000,,Let’s see you try, small fry!

Dialogue: 0,0:08:35.51,0:08:38.58,SnK main,fatso,0000,0000,0000,,Just one word, and a small fry like you is going to see hell!

 

“owner” makes more sense here than “boss”. For some reason, “middle management” doesn’t scream “I’m super important!” in this line. Go figure~

Dialogue: 0,0:06:13.71,0:06:15.98,SnK main,fatso,0000,0000,0000,,I’m the boss of the local trade company!

 

“I told you to only kill the father!”

Dialogue: 0,0:14:35.30,0:14:37.22,SnK main,kidnapper2,0000,0000,0000,,I told you we’re only killing the father!

 

lewl. Yes, this is exactly the thing I’d say after killing a murderer/rapist/general meanie pants.

Dialogue: 0,0:16:24.60,0:16:27.39,SnK main,Eren,0000,0000,0000,,Never stand up again!

 

 

Fear not, Lag-Taka fans. Ignoring the other issues, this group does Shingeki justice.

Spoiler:

[Lag-Taka]_Shingeki_no_Kyojin_-_06_[720p][A76C472D].mkv_snapshot_02.26_[2013.05.22_02.58.03] [Lag-Taka]_Shingeki_no_Kyojin_-_06_[720p][A76C472D].mkv_snapshot_02.55_[2013.05.22_01.18.59] [Lag-Taka]_Shingeki_no_Kyojin_-_06_[720p][A76C472D].mkv_snapshot_03.05_[2013.05.22_01.15.58] [Lag-Taka]_Shingeki_no_Kyojin_-_06_[720p][A76C472D].mkv_snapshot_03.08_[2013.05.22_01.21.45] [Lag-Taka]_Shingeki_no_Kyojin_-_06_[720p][A76C472D].mkv_snapshot_03.38_[2013.05.22_01.33.57] [Lag-Taka]_Shingeki_no_Kyojin_-_06_[720p][A76C472D].mkv_snapshot_03.43_[2013.05.22_01.34.16] [Lag-Taka]_Shingeki_no_Kyojin_-_06_[720p][A76C472D].mkv_snapshot_04.00_[2013.05.22_02.58.37] [Lag-Taka]_Shingeki_no_Kyojin_-_06_[720p][A76C472D].mkv_snapshot_05.42_[2013.05.22_02.59.04] [Lag-Taka]_Shingeki_no_Kyojin_-_06_[720p][A76C472D].mkv_snapshot_08.06_[2013.05.22_02.59.22] [Lag-Taka]_Shingeki_no_Kyojin_-_06_[720p][A76C472D].mkv_snapshot_08.31_[2013.05.22_02.59.36] [Lag-Taka]_Shingeki_no_Kyojin_-_06_[720p][A76C472D].mkv_snapshot_08.35_[2013.05.22_03.00.15] [Lag-Taka]_Shingeki_no_Kyojin_-_06_[720p][A76C472D].mkv_snapshot_15.48_[2013.05.22_03.00.28] [Lag-Taka]_Shingeki_no_Kyojin_-_06_[720p][A76C472D].mkv_snapshot_19.44_[2013.05.22_03.00.41] [Lag-Taka]_Shingeki_no_Kyojin_-_06_[720p][A76C472D].mkv_snapshot_19.54_[2013.05.22_03.00.56]

Just the best.

 

 

Results

Watchability: Watchable.

Visual grade: A

Script grade: C+ (there’s more to editing than just spellcheck)

Overall grade: B-

Though I am pleased that Lag-Taka managed to break the D-tier streak of reviews, my disappointment in fansubs still remains. I hope we’ll see at least one A-tier for Shingeki — the show deserves it.

Next up: Hatsuyuki-Kaitou (episode 6), Commie (episode 7), gg (episode 7), EveTaku (episode 7). Keep your fingers crossed but your expectations low.

Back to top

Grade:
Show:
Tags: , , , , ,

112 Comments

Jii-san says:

Oh wow, SnK reviews finally. All of them tonight?

Jin-kun says:

Weren’t you QCer for them at the beginning?

Either way, glad to see you doing reviews of them. ^^

sleepy920 says:

>Note: I used to QC for this group’s Shingeki, but I got tired of the shitty scripts they kept handing me (it’s not the QC’s job to edit), so I quit.

Dark_Sage, screenshots of the OP doesn’t do justice of how great the kfx is. Here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/khtwnw169cnjzbj/%5BLag-Taka%5D_Shingeki_no_Kyojin_-_OP.mp4?m

random says:

Someone please explain why distracting karaoke is a good thing. I don’t understand.

WithoutAnyDecency says:

Neither do I Random, neither do I.

Dark_Sage says:

I think karaoke can add something beneficial to the aesthetic of the op/ed.

If you disagree, that’s fine, but it’s how I view it.

Pelfmiester says:

Good karaoke with a good opening really sets the mood for the show. Plus it adds a really good first impression for the show. If they put in that much effort for the karaoke then the rest of the release should be pretty good.

Juggen says:

Agreed. The chorus gives me nightmares. The other parts are okay, however.

The first two karaoke effect sets look fine in my opinion, but the ADHD one at the end is totally unnecessary and, as said, too distracting. First time I saw that karaoke anyway, considering I’m watching gg’s releases.

Vanth says:

Diffuse –> Defuse?

Dark_Sage says:

Indeed.

kayserlein says:

You may want to include a spoiler warning for people who haven’t seen episode 5. The end of it is still a big surprise and you’re just giving it away in this review.

P32L says:

I don’t see the point, considering all reviews spoil the contents of a given episode by their very nature. I mean, isn’t that evident by the title?

kayserlein says:

Just wanted to be considerate, since this is kind of a massive spoiler

Dark_Sage says:

I can throw up a spoiler warning in my Hatsuyuki review’s intro text, but I think it’s inherently obvious that by reading a review of episode 6, all episodes up to and including 6 may be spoiled.

I tend to only use spoiler text/warnings when I’m talking about something that happens after whatever review I’m doing.

asdfsadf says:

Don’t think you need to do that.Its not a normal review of the episode ( where you tell what you think about the episode) but a fansub review.And you made it quite clear by putting “Fansub Review:” in front of the post’s title.

I think that people who visit this site know what they are in for(Sorry Dark_Sage but your sites SEO isn’t that well. It doesn’t turn up when I google for ‘shingeki episode 6 review,But then again, seeing that there are no ads on this site,we can assume that you are doing it for the e-penis anyway.)

Dark_Sage says:

Nah, I know my SEO sucks. Less than two percent of my traffic comes from Google.

But you’re right, I’m all about that e-penis.

yaffi says:

Inh-eren-tly obvious you say?

stgmefly says:

>Prefers dubs
Wow u r not a reel oh taco y r u hating animus by sayn u lieks dubs das disrispektful i h8s u unlikt

No says:

If I may quote an old post from this site:
“Lazy? I’m perpetuating the idea that fansubs should cater to fans, not weeaboos who enjoy dubs and expect fansubs to be watered down and cater to the lowest denomination like commercial releases. If you don’t know what “matsuri” is, you should probably watch a lot more fansubs and learn about Japan before you even post on a fansub blog again.”

Dark_Sage the weeaboo.

 says:

>shingeki reviews

IT BEGINS

nigra says:

Bad Religion <3

sangofe says:

You should review Saizen’s episode 1 even if it got dropped. Pretty sure that would be close to an A.

http://www.crymore.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Lag-Taka_Shingeki_no_Kyojin_-_06_720pA76C472D.mkv_snapshot_10.24_2013.05.22_01.53.30.jpg
Way overblurred.
This is what happens when they assume I’m not available to typeset. Still, the signs that were based off my own from other episodes were all acceptable, so I might let Treize live another day.

rarely_upset says:

wow damn you are so good at this fansubbing thing HA how do you do it and you do so much with so little tioh wait right.
They probably assumed you weren’t available to typeset since you tend to not be available to do things when they need to be done.

mints says:

With all due respect, when you disappear like a fart in the wind you can’t complain that someone else didn’t do *your* job right.

But when I ask earlier that day how the release is coming (which I did, and I even got an answer), perhaps some people would come to the conclusion that maybe I was waiting for it to be ready for me. Or maybe I’m expecting too much.

returnity says:

>expecting too much

Always. =P

FalseDawn says:

Mildly amused that a release that supposedly had scripts so shitty they made D_S ragequit earned an overall B :)

I have to disagree about your “for good” comment. Though I use ellipses with wild abandon, there is no gain from an enforced pause in that sentence. In fact, I’d suggest that the implication that someone’s said “shut up” in a previous line would only come about if the “you” was italicized.

I can’t say if the line works itself in context as I can’t remember the line preceding this one, but I don’t think an ellipsis would fix it if it was wrong anyway.

temp_late says:

** Lesbian-chan talking smack about Armin and Eren’s crew, then **
Dialogue: 0,0:02:43.97,0:02:46.26,SnK main,Springer,0,0,0,,You bitch!
–Dialogue: 0,0:02:46.26,0:02:48.48,SnK main,Springer,0,0,0,,Do you want me to shut you up for good?!
Dialogue: 0,0:02:48.93,0:02:50.66,SnK main,Christa,0,0,0,,Stop it, you two!

I’m not so sure about ellipses there either… certainly, the complete suggested rewrite is a bit much, as the whole thing’s only got 2.22 seconds of screen time.

I don’t really take much exception to that line at all. Or rather, it’s maybe a bit weird, but I can’t think of a better alt off the top of the head that conveys all the same ideas and fits in the time allotted.

mints says:

Hi, Taka’s qc here. Shall we start?

>instead. “I should have died instead!”
Worthless piece of shit!
I should have died!
a) He actually *is* frustrated he didn’t die *because* he is a “worthless piece of shit!”
b) he is talking to himself here (we’ll get to this later on too)

> They-They 1st beef (leading to confusion)
Second line is: blah blah “they” encountered “a group of Titans” – I don’t see how that would confuse anyone, since “group WeAreFucked” encountered “a group of Titans”.

> The use of “for good” here indicates he was following a statement or sentiment that included “shut up”.
> I think what Lag-Taka wanted to go for was “If you keep talking like that, I may just have to shut you up… for good!”
No, not necessarily. Btw same could be said for your suggestion, let alone audio length doesn’t match all that blabbering. (02:46.26 – 02:48.48)

> Lag-Taka’s “Yeah.” here is the biggest issue, because there’s no reason for Connie to respond with that.
Pay attention: He is *not* replying to Christa. Basically he is just talking to himself out loud here, so: “Yeah. etc etc” is fine. You know, he is trying to keep it together and all.

> he is kneeling
No he is not. He is resting his sorry ass on his knees, and therefore, he is sitting.

> Do you even tense?
Yes we do. On the other hand, you seem a bit confused today. You *would* die for your country. You are not dying *because* of it.

> Unless Mikasa is a time traveler, this is wrong. Try “Our family has practiced the art of embroidery for many generations.”
I think it actually is *this* (specific) embroidery. Although yes, we should have used something like “this style/technique of embroidery.”

> They-They 2nd beef
They would have been gone by the time the Military Police got here!
They wouldn’t have made it in time!
– This could be avoided yes, but I think it’s not really that confusing if you are actually *watching* the anime. I could be wrong though.

> By repeating “home”, Lag-Taka is essentially having Mikasa say “I no longer have a home, because I don’t have a home.”
No. By repeating “home” we add more drama to it (and we all love drama, don’t we?) + that’s a child there in case you haven’t noticed. They tend to talk like that in general.

> “I’m a worthless piece of shit!” (This isn’t properly addressed.)
Now, now. If you weren’t looking so hard for “C mistakes” you wouldn’t repeat your own!
Armin isn’t actually talking to anyone here. He is just cursing at himself. In his state, “I am a” is not rly needed now, is it?

> Fear not, Lag-Taka fans. Ignoring the other issues, this group does Shingeki justice.
I loved this. However, posting consecutive screens like that makes it look really bad when it’s not if you actually *just* watch the ep itself.

In short, a script of this level doesn’t justify a “C” nor a ragequit. Personally, I think that you quit because you are a lazy-ass that won’t even bother with his own group’s stuff! (finish Hyobu kthx.)

Dark_Sage says:

All right, let me address what I can address before the flight takes off.

Your line is still wrong. The intent is “eren would still be alive if he didn’t have to save me. Oh god I wish I had died instead of him.” You’re completely missing the point of that scene. Please, tell me how your inability to understand that isn’t an issue.

Non-specific dialog is an issue. I don’t see how you can argue differently unless you go with the “but you can still understand it!” argument. But people can also understand what’s going on with just raws, so that’s a bad position to take.

odinigh says:

>The intent is “eren would still be alive if he didn’t have to save me.

No, the problem with Armin is that Eren saved him right before getting eaten.
Armin just watched his entire squad get eaten.

Even if Eren didn’t save him, he probably would have been eaten anyway.

Dark_Sage says:

That’s a very bad interpretation that completely ignores the effect Eren’s death had on Armin. You do know they’re buddies, right?

Armin blames himself for Eren’s death.

odinigh says:

Blame himself? They survived the titan attack from 5 years ago, I think they’re past the point of, “We all should have died already.”

I guess to each their own.

Dark_Sage says:

I get the feeling we’re not talking about the same thing here.

mints says:

> You’re completely missing the point of that scene.
Actually, you are. Armin has been sulking there (in complete shock) for a good few hours, so when Connie talks to him it’s like ‘poking the bear with a stick’. He finally *snaps*.
He is word-vomiting, half-finished thoughts, which is exactly *why* we left it like that. Your suggestion would stand if he wasn’t in the middle of an emotional breakdown. (in next ep for example he has to get his shit together and face Mikasa.)

> Non-specific dialog is an issue.
Yes it is an issue when things aren’t crystal-clear. This isn’t the case here, at least for the first ‘They-They’ part. I’ll agree with you on the second one though.

You did raise a few other valid points as well: (‘checkup’ line, ‘should have met my father’, ‘people-other people.’) And that’s about it.

Dark_Sage says:

If you think Caveman speak is the best way to handle characterization, by all means stick with it. I’m sure your fanbase appreciates the nod.

Keep throwing words on scripts and hope they resemble English all you want, but that’s not how to handle a release. Jamming two lines together with unclear verbiage is not appropriate writing. I don’t know where you got the idea it’s acceptable, but if I were to bet, I’d say it came from your own ass.

Err says:

Yes, of course, because every person speaks in perfect grammar all the time, even when totally freaking out. I can be an obsessive grammarian (ask any of the QCers who review my edited scripts), but sometimes “natural speak” trumps grammar. I think you missed the point of that particular scene when you criticized it.

PS. I’m not on this project, just sharing my point of view because i happen to agree with mints.

Dark_Sage says:

Cont.

Well, tell me what you wanted to convey, cuz you didn’t do it right.

Fair enough, for an isolated line. But it doesn’t flow into the next one at all. You want to get across “okay, I get it. She’s just being her typical cunty self.” But like most lines in this release, your poor writing skills get in the way.

It’s definitely kneeling. Point of bringing that one up was more to make fun of you guys than to point out something I had a huge issue with, though.

mints says:

> Well, tell me what you wanted to convey, cuz you didn’t do it right.
It’s pretty much self-explanatory: ‘Bitch shut up, or I’ll shut you up for good.’ I don’t see what’s your problem here.

>You want to get across “okay, I get it. She’s just being her typical cunty self.”
Why is so hard for you to get that he is just repeating what Christa just told him, in order to calm himself down?

> It’s definitely kneeling.
Is it now?

Dark_Sage says:

Except that’s not what you said. That’s what you tried to say, but it’s not how it’s written. Your line reads as a come-back to a phrase that never appeared. Seriously, am I the only person in this conversation who has spoken English before?

Ooh, that’s a new excuse. Tell me, what exactly is he repeating? Please reference the line.

You can check Google Images for sit/kneel. It could go either way, but feel free to make this the crux of your argument when it never affected your score. :)

Err says:

Dude. Synonyms. Might be a new concept for you, but its worth learning.

mints says:

> Tell me, what exactly is he repeating?
He is repeating to himself the *bottom line* of what Christa just told him. Not her exact words. (That Ymir doesn’t really mean what she’s saying.)

*FalseDawn, thanks for clearing up the ‘would’ mess btw :)

Dark_Sage says:

Cont. (I hate writing on my phone.)

Your stupidity continues to astound me. “Dying” is present tense, “would” is not. You fucked up.

And you can understand most shows without subs. That doesn’t mean you’d get a pat on the back from me for releasing raws. Bad writing is bad writing.

You’re using home in two different contexts here and it doesn’t mesh up.

In this context it would sound less shitty, so I’d say my change is good.

You had a number of back to back just lines. It’s still an issue of lazy writing.

You deserved the grade you got. Maybe if you had someone on staff who spoke English natively, you’d have s better grade.

mints says:

> “Dying” is present tense, “would” is not. You fucked up.
My comrades are dying.
They’re fighting the Titans and dying because you haven’t evacuated yet.
Of course they would.
-I find it rather unnatural to say “Of course you are dying for us.” as opposed to “Of course you would die for us.”

> That doesn’t mean you’d get a pat on the back from me for releasing raws.
First it was “unedited CR scripts” (original TL btw), now it’s… “Raws”? I’m sitting on the floor right now cause I threw my chair out the window :P

> You’re using home in two different contexts here and it doesn’t mesh up.
What? “There is no place for me now.” is the context in both lines.

> It’s still an issue of lazy writing.
Lazy? You are the very definition of the word. Between you and me though, I’d also prefer reviewing fansubs over qc. Much more fun.

> Maybe if you had someone on staff who spoke English natively-
Or maybe you should get your facts straight before blurting out nonsense.

Translator-sama offered his 2 cents as well:

btw the interpretation of “I should have died instead!” line is wrong on both sides, imo :)
Armin is yelling “die!” at himself
as in “I should die right now!”, “I don’t deserve to live!”

Dark_Sage says:

“My comrades are dying.” // “Of course they are.”
That’s inarguably perfect. What the fuck is wrong with you?

So why didn’t you say that? It’s poor writing.

And my line gets across his reasoning. So, tell your translator to eat a dick.

odinigh says:

>That’s inarguably perfect.
Have fun living in your own little world, bro.

P32L says:

It’s unarguably grammatically correct, at the very least. And people generally do respond with the same verb in the same tense in English. I’m not sure where in the world this would make sense:
“You’re a moron.”
“No I didn’t!”
But have fun in your little world.

FalseDawn says:

Actually, the reason it’s wrong is because the sentence “Of course they would” has no verb in it. If you added “be” on the end, it’d make more sense – tenses can be mixed in English, but only if your sentences are tight and stand-alone.

P32L says:

Well, no lexical verb in it. :P
It does stand as an elliptical sentence, but the response would actually have to match the previous sentence.

I’m still iffy on ‘would be’, but at least that construction isn’t wholly dependent on the preceding sentence containing ‘would’.

FalseDawn says:

I think possibly using D_S’s favourite italics trick and putting “Of course they /would/ be dying!” is probably the best way to express the tense change. But we’re nitpicking now :D

FalseDawn says:

Has that become your default response to every group now? Or did you just forget that the editor for this series is American? Obviously you paid a lot of attention to the team around you when you were QCing this… >.>

Dark_Sage says:

>implying Treize speaks English natively

Not possible with the subs he was handing me.

Kuroiryuu says:

IIRC, he’s from around the same area as you.

Dark_Sage says:

That’s hard to believe.

FalseDawn says:

Forgive me for not taking you too seriously when you only spent 18 minutes on qcing the first episode because you couldn’t find enough to change :D

Did you ever watch the ending to that ep? ;)

Dark_Sage says:

And then I refused to QC episode 2 (or was it 3?) because it was too bad for me to handle and told Treize to fucking edit it before it got to QC stage. And then I handed in a halfway-done QC report for the last episode before I quit that was thecowgoesmoo-tier before I could even get into nitpicking. It’s not a QC’s job to edit (via QC reports, no less), which I don’t think Taka understands.

Not sure what horse you’ve got in this race, though. I don’t recall seeing you in the staff channel.

FalseDawn says:

Merely an interested spectator.

I think the reason I’ve raised my head above the parapet, armed with popcorn, is because you’ve gone a little overboard here (negative bias, I guess). It feels like you’ve let your personal experience with the group get in the way of the reviewing process itself.

For instance, none of the points you’ve pointed out equate to a “shitty release”. There might indeed be overuse of words or awkwardness of phrasing/logic derps, but in the past, you’ve only really used the condemning judgment of “shitty release” for the Hadena’s and Doki’s of the world. After all, there’s nothing grammatically *wrong* with anything in the release, it just tastes like porridge instead of caviar, I’m guessing? And hey, all power to you for pointing out the blandness, but there is such a thing as *overstating* which is probably why mints and Treize have presented rebuttals in essay form.

I also take slight issue with you stating that a group/editors aren’t native when they are because, well, you wouldn’t like it if someone said that about you because you didn’t edit an episode particularly well, would you? There are probably a number of naive people who would take it as gospel and I don’t see why you’d want to lumber that label on a group that doesn’t really deserve it :S

Dark_Sage says:

So much salt over a B-, which is where I expect most groups to be at.

How overboard have I gone here? Was this an A-tier release? Can you defend that? I’ll give you an author account if you desire to do so. I’d love to see just how wrong I am.

Treize says:

I guess you don’t expect most groups to have native English speaking editors, then, if it’s impossible for a native English speaking editor to have a release this poorly edited. You do realize people are more responding to your comments than the grade, right? Or did you fail at reading?

FalseDawn says:

I think Treize summed it up before I read your reply, D_S.

I have no real issue with the grade, nor even with the things you’ve pointed out as being areas for improvement (though I’m not sure your “corrections” completely hit the mark in this case, but then it’s a lot easier to spot issues than suggest new lines – every QCer knows that one!). Looking at the screenshots you’ve provided, I think a B/C is pretty fair – and as xythar once told me, a B on a non-crunchy edit is like a gold star in this place :D

As Treize says, it’s the comments that I felt obliged to weigh in on. A release you give a B is called “shitty” (internal consistency fail?) and you’ve labelled the editing and qc staff non-native when the editor is American.

I think this is probably a one-off due to your history with the project with this group, but your points just seemed like lazy insults rather than genuine disdain at the English language being mutilated (as witnessed in most of your reviews). And while it’s acceptable to lazymode grammar points in most reviews because it’s demonstrably wrong, you can’t use that approach all the time. There are times when, just because it looks bad to you, it doesn’t mean it looks bad to everyone without maybe some convincing to oil us onto the right tracks.

tl;dr Stop perpetuating drama because you’re bored at a con :p

Dark_Sage says:

So your problem is that I’m too mean with my criticism? Welcome to Crymore.net, and thanks for providing entertainment for my readers. Stick around a bit and you may eventually end up as the person being entertained.

FalseDawn says:

No, no, you’re missing the point entirely. It’s not that you’re too mean, it’s that in this case, the meanness is disproportionate to the so-called crime. I’m all for ripping people to shreds but generally only when it’s actually deserved, rather than because you’re trolling a former employer ;)

No says:

Since when is calling someone a non-native such a huge insult?

Dark_Sage says:

FalseDawn hates brown people.

FalseDawn says:

D_S lives in Nazi Germany? Plenty of brown natives where I live :)

And it’s not that it’s an insult, it’s just factually incorrect and brings with it some unwelcome implications. I’m all for ripping editors apart for their bad editing, but I don’t get why you’d have to resort to incorrect statements to make your point. It just makes you look ignorant, even if your argument is a valid one.

Dark_Sage says:

It seemed accurate to me when I wrote it. Have you met Treize? Have you heard him speak? Cuz I’ve seen the scripts he handed off to me, and I came to the most logical conclusion based on the evidence presented.

FalseDawn says:

And your evidence for it seeming non-native? A dodgy conditional clause that could go either way.

In your own words, “you fucked up.” Is it so hard to admit you were wrong and offer an apology for shooting your mouth off without checking your facts? :D

raingod says:

“Maybe if you had someone on staff who spoke English natively, you’d have a better grade.”

D_S, I think they didn’t get the “joke”. You want me to explain it to them?

Dark_Sage says:

Sure, but dumb it down enough so they get it.

triviper says:

Basically D_S was overly offensive for a “B-grade fansub”, wrong on perhaps a few points, but overall the rating of the release was in the right ball park.

If this is more or less agreed upon, there’s no need for people to make it personal ^^

pikajew says:

Why you hatin’, bro? You mad ’cause you’re too lazy to work on it, or because you quit? lulz. You’ve pointed out like, what, three actual instances where a change would be better needed? Give them a break. You’re nitpicking with rage. Stop acting like such a tool. Your blog and opinion is stupid anyway. Not sure why anyone would care what you of all people would think about others’ work. I’ve checked several groups and have to admit Lag-Taka is the best. Especially in their typesetting and karaoke.

P32L says:

Oh dear. I don’t think I’ve seen this brand of stupidity here for quite some time.

Jeffrey-sama says:

>Your blog and opinion is stupid anyway. Not sure why anyone would care what you of all people would think about others’ work.
You sure seem to care… a lot. o___o

raingod says:

You must be new here. Welcome.

Escude says:

Editor for gg died, and wasn’t around to do episode 7, so you might want to review their episode six for a more telling review.

Dark_Sage says:

Dammit, now I gotta download ep 76.

Ryuk says:

>now I gotta download ep 7

Either you’re being sarcastic or it’s a typo.

Dark_Sage says:

I’m tired.

cautr says:

Another show I don’t care about (yet). Thus, another review I don’t care about (yet). But still: the comments entertain me greatly. All hail fansubbing!

Treize says:

I figure I may as well make a comment too if you still don’t see how your review is messed up, and you’re insulting me in the process. Sorry if some things are repeats from mints, but I figured it’d be better to be thorough. I won’t say that this script is great, but, Dark_Sage, if this is too much work for you to QC, then you must not QC anything. I’d say it’s very rare to see a script that requires this little work from a QCer, and I’m sure I’ve QCed more shows for more groups than you have. Anyway, even if you were still QCing for us, I would have ignored most of these “fixes” because most of your suggestions are either wrong or make the lines worse, not that you really helped much in the first place. All you did was complain. For most of the eps, you didn’t even spend 20 minutes QCing because it was too much work for you at that point.

“I should have died instead!”
He’s not saying that he should have died so Eren could live. Maybe “I should be dead.” would work better because he’s saying that he should die because he’s a worthless piece of shit, but I think “I should have died.” carries the same meaning.

“The problem here is the use of “they”, because the lines refer to two different groups — the Titans and Armin’s comrades, respectively — leading to confusion.”
You can’t tell me that in casual dialog, people always speak with clear antecedents. If you were confused, then you must not have been following the story at all. I could have put Eren and the rest of them in the first line instead of the third line, but it’s really not uncommon to use “they” without an antecedent if it’s plainly obvious who’s being talked about. This is dialog, not a formal essay.

“The line needs to be phrased in a specific way to match how people actually speak. I think it’s about time we come up with a term for that kind of thing, though. How about “grammar”?”
https://www.google.com/search?q=%22shut+you+up+for+good%22&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
I guess a million results on google isn’t common enough to be considered “how people actually speak.” You think adding an ellipsis makes it more understandable? It doesn’t sound like he pauses to me. Honestly, if you have never heard “to shut you up for good,” you must have been living under a rock for most of your life.

“Yeah. She’s just messing around more than usual.”
“All right, I guess she’s just messing around a bit more than she usually does.”
Are you seriously saying that this is better. The line is only 2 seconds long, and you just about doubled the amount of characters to convey the exact same meaning but with more filler words.

“He’s kneeling.”
Just because your knees touch the ground doesn’t mean you’re kneeling. Please research the meaning of “sitting” and “kneeling” because it doesn’t seem like you know the difference, and he’s clearly sitting. Who would take the extra effort to kneel when they’re depressed and can’t even get up to move, not to mention “You can’t just kneel there.” looks retarded.

“Ineffective, stale dialogue is the name of the Lag-Taka game. And they apparently want to win.”
Since the Japanese is very vague, I wanted to leave it up to the viewers to decide what exactly she’s talking about. Sorry if you don’t have the imagination to think of things yourself while watching. The problem with being specific is creating a major loss of meaning. With this line, I’m sure she’s referring to the fact that everyone is just standing around, that the gate is blocked by a giant cart, and several other things. By picking one, you have to discard the rest of them.

“Do you even tense?”
Do you even grammar? It is very common to change tenses in English. FalseDawn is correct that the only grammatical thing wrong is that the second line doesn’t have a verb, but in English dialog, it is not uncommon to leave out verbs when the speaker thinks it’s clear enough. “My comrades are dying.” “Of course they would.”(die for us because that’s their duty as soldiers. w/e) I hope that helps you understand what should be pretty obvious. Sorry I decreased the length. I figured it’d be better to make it shorter since you have to read the entire line in about a second. Also, I chose would die instead of are dying because would die indicates that they are willingly dying for them. It’s not a problem because they chose to die for the citizens when they became soldiers. “Are dying” doesn’t get across that secondary meaning.

“This sounds as villainous as a Team Rocket line.”
Your criticism is also as useful as Team Rocket.

“You should’ve met my father before.”
“I believe you’ve met my father before.”
These carry across pretty much the same meaning. If anything, I’d say yours carries a more mature tone, which doesn’t work as well with kids talking, but I don’t think the difference between the two lines is that great.

Though these lines are back-to-back, “they” does not refer to the same group of people.
Again, you must not be paying attention if you can’t understand what’s being said. This is dialog. People are not 100% specific when they speak. If this was a formal essay, the lines would have been worded differently, but it’s not.

“I no longer have a home, because I don’t have a home.”
It’s “I no longer have a home to return to because I no longer have a home.”

“I no longer have somewhere to return.”
I think it’s important to keep home instead of somewhere for emphasis. Somewhere sounds more detached. Her house is still there to return to, but because her parents are no longer there, it’s no longer her “home.”

About the just lines, they still only comprise 4% of the total lines. It is only an issue in that one flashback scene. Otherwise, it’s pretty much an average of one line with the word just every 2 minutes.

So basically this is a C because:
other people > others
embroidery > style of embroidery
check up > checkup

Oh well, your grading guidelines have been random and have never made sense to begin with.

Dark_Sage says:

I don’t think anyone even knows who you are, so don’t worry too much about your precious reputation. You’re a shitty fucking editor and I hope I never have the misery of being exposed to one of your pre-QC scripts again. QC is not second edit, and if you still don’t realize that, it’s clear you’ve been hanging out with the kind of crowd that thinks paint thinner is a mixed drink.

No, that’s literally the point of the scene. I don’t see how you can miss that, but perhaps I shouldn’t have expected much from a group only known for releasing worse Naruto episodes than DB did and consistently fucked-up MP4 encodes.

If you want to act like your inability to differentiate between subjects is an example of great writing, that’s your perogative. But that doesn’t fly in reality no matter how many tears you and your illustrious Taka peers shed.

I’ve heard the term before, but you don’t just come right out with “I’m going to shut you up for good.” I’m pretty fucking certain I know a thing or two about forming insults.

I don’t know what’s worse: your math or your literacy skills. That wasn’t actually my replacement suggestion. It was me hammering out the meaning that you wouldn’t get from your shitty release. The “Yeah” is the only thing that necessitates change.

I went over this before. It didn’t affect your shitty score in the slightest, but if you’re gonna bitch and moan about it this much, I’ll remove it. Happy? Please don’t be; your misery gives me pleasure.

“The poor writing matches the Japanese script! You should praise us for being so literally perfect!” Oh Taka.

They’re dying in the present tense. Maybe you should watch the show before you throw the TL into Microsoft Word and hit spellcheck.

too mad~

If my line’s “mature”, then yours is a post-pregnancy abortion. It’s not even close to right.

I know it’s dialog. You can hide behind “we’re totes natural bro cuz real people don’t use englishes when they be talks” if you want, but that’s not how scriptwriting works. I’m sorry this concept is so foreign to you. Try a community college course on the subject or something, I don’t have time to fix your idiocy.

That’s not a good line either, but live in your delusions all you want. Reality is scary, indeed.

You overuse “just”. A lot. Kneejerk if you desire, but don’t be surprised when your knee hits you in the face.

I’m glad you pointed out that my grades are bad now that you’ve received a poor score. That totally doesn’t make it seem like you’re bitter I called you out on a job done shit. Sorry I didn’t grade you based on your group name, but that’s not the kind of site Crymore is. I would think you’d have realized this by now, but maybe you only see what you want to. Blind yourself and you won’t have that problem anymore.

Treize says:

I won’t reply to most of your stuff because it’s pretty pointless to argue with someone who can only use insults to back up their points, but you have misunderstood a few things.

“I don’t think anyone even knows who you are, so don’t worry too much about your precious reputation.”
I don’t care that much about my reputation, and I certainly don’t think that you could damage it in any way. I do care about being insulted in response to others’ comments when I didn’t comment originally or even plan to comment on this ridiculous review.

“No, that’s literally the point of the scene.”
Our translator said that is not the point of the line, so I think I’ll go with him instead when you obviously do not know Japanese.

“I’m glad you pointed out that my grades are bad now that you’ve received a poor score.”
You do realize that I’ve brought this up to you numerous times since you started the site, right? I’ve still never gotten a response on how you actually get the grades you put.

Treize says:

Sorry for the repeat comment, but in ep 7, Armin says, “It would’ve been better if I had died with him.” This shows that he is not thinking that he should have died instead of Eren. Also, Eren would have probably died from blood loss regardless since he lost both his arm and his leg, and everyone else there who could have helped him was already dead.

mints says:

> a group only known for releasing worse Naruto episodes than DB did and consistently fucked-up MP4 encodes.
> Sorry I didn’t grade you based on your group name, but that’s not the kind of site Crymore is.

lol.

Dark_Sage says:

Sorry, I confused your reputation among fansubbers with your reputation among your leechers. Have a gomen.

mints says:

Perhaps instead of resorting to random baseless insults you should care more about *your* reputation among *fansubbers*. We are doing just fine :)

Your blog is and will be fun to read despite all this. Personally I don’t have a problem with your grading system but in some cases (like this one) you blow things out of proportion.

Fyurie says:

We have reps? This is news to me.

Dark_Sage says:

What does a king care about the opinions of his subjects? What, are fansubbers going to create a mob to oust me from my throne? Do tell me how my reputation has ever been – or ever will be – in jeopardy.

I could use some entertainment since this con I’m at is boring as shit.

FalseDawn says:

Reputation among fansubbers? What’s that? :|

Dark_Sage says:

Fansubbing didn’t die when you stopped caring in 2006. Hit up IRC some time, people are still there.

FalseDawn says:

Ah, if we want to go into the “good, old days” talk, then I think rep actually meant more (or at least, coloured the landscape a bit more) back in 2006 than it does today.

Rep doesn’t really count for much now – as shown by the fact that people still pester me to edit stuff, believing I *won’t* stall it till the end of time :D

Secludedly says:

It’s what nerdy, fat kids require in order to feel important and vital to others, simply to justify being a bag of lard that takes up basement space in their mother and father’s home.

This kid seems very desperate for attention, undoubtedly due to similar circumstances.

Those that post here and are affiliated with the groups involved are simply giving him what he wants, so I’d suggest discontinuing further comments which would undoubtedly require him to retort in an angry and incoherent way. This is not important enough to create a dramatic scene, and I’d like my group kept out of belligerent and insensible remarks, if possible.

Dark_Sage says:

Don’t mad. I’m sorry. :(

Justaway says:

Commie fucked up the entire show with their fucking eotans.

ar says:

I would totally marry Holo.

Dark_Sage says:

And their “stupidhead” insults.

Reed says:

I’d love to live in this fantasy world where it’s not the QC’s job to make editing comments because the editor is perfect. Here in the real world, QCs suck it up and make those comments for the good of the release.

If this is the worst you could find, this script is not a C.

Dark_Sage says:

Please tell me what score I should give it, as I do rely on your opinions to formulate these scores, which is why my site is called MyAnimeList instead of Crymore.net

When it comes to fansubbing processes, I would love for you to attempt to educate me. If you could convince me how an editor that causes the QC to make 100 necessary fixes in a QC report is a legitimately good editor, then perhaps we can consider Treize competent. Until then, you have quite literally no idea what you’re talking about.

raingod says:

HAHAHAHAHAHA! D_S, your “new” visitors are funny. Is this their first time on the “Internet”? Maybe Mommy and Daddy forgot to lock their “Internet” connection. I’m sorry to say this but I find their passion unbelievable and funny. Pick your battles, people. Pick your battles.

Ciel says:

Please don’t drive in this state.
I heard coffee can sober up drunks, try it. It may work. ┐(´•_•`)┌

raingod says:

HAHAHA! I like it. Don’t worry. I will only drink and drive on areas that have conventions. Brightly dressed people are easier to hit.

 says:

I wasn’t expecting this much drama before the Commie review.

returnity says:

Dark_Sage, do not review [gg] episode 7 (please, for both our sakes!XD). It will be fail, because it wasn’t edited.

I was bedridden for almost 4 days over last weekend with vertigo/vomiting/migraines from a misdiagnosed ear infection, so I couldn’t edit the script. Please do episode 06 or 08, so that your review is more representative of the normal quality level. I am working on a 07v2, but catching up in school and work is taking priority, so it might come with the batch.

Thanks, and I hope the con was awesome!

returnity says:

also… all this drama over a ‘B-tier’ grade?

I guess I’ll have to show Treize how it’s done on Vulvarape.

returnity says:

Feel free to delete my comment, I see th Ep.07 issue was already covered above… I couldn’t be arsed to read all the comments/butthurt, but thanks for doing Ep.06 instead.

Dark_Sage says:

That sucks, dude. Hope the infection got taken care of. :/

And yeah, 06 or 08 it is. No worries.

Dark_Sage says:

Okay, score *slightly* upgraded. Upon having viewed Commie’s and EveTaku’s, this probably wasn’t as bad as I painted it.

cautr says:

I can smell ‘dere’ all over the place. :-*

Leave a Comment