[???] Mirai Nikki Redial

?-Tier, Fansub Review — By on July 19, 2013 2:13 pm

This post was written by Calyrica. She is not Dark_Sage.

I wanted to do more of the reviews that were requested, but goddamn it, I had to share this.

So this comes from my Animebyt.es haul. I downloaded this to find the filename to simply be Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv. No group name or CRC. So I went over to MAL to add it to my list and find out what groups are listed there. Nothing.

I have no idea who subbed this.

But there’s a reason why there’s no identifier for this release: the people who worked on it are too embarrassed to put their names on it.

I will illustrate, in seventy screenshots, why that must be so.

Filesize: 103mb (it’s 360p btw)
English: Not even.

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_03.37_[2013.07.18_15.18.35]

This is the OP. It’s by Yousei Teikoku, who is <3 for me. Unfortunately, their treatment of it… isn’t.

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_28.39_[2013.07.18_18.01.18]

Here’s the ED. It’s by Faylan, who is also <3. Except they didn’t even translate it.

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_03.28_[2013.07.18_15.18.23]

I was hoping they’d be competent enough to give me a hint here, but… Nothing.

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_04.39_[2013.07.18_15.28.54]

Better than I was expecting…

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_14.10_[2013.07.18_15.53.18]

Why is there no typesetting?

Also: Why are there only timestamps and locations?

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_00.39_[2013.07.18_15.12.44]

I suppose cell phone screens would be super hard if they can’t even do karaoke.

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_01.21_[2013.07.18_15.15.26]

But at least they put some effort?

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_27.01_[2013.07.18_17.59.31]

Could use some more blur. And a box that actually fits.

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_00.23_[2013.07.18_15.12.22]

While this line here isn’t wrong, look at what follows it…

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_00.24_[2013.07.18_15.12.27]

Comma splice.

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_00.48_[2013.07.18_15.14.31]

Comma splice.

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_02.18_[2013.07.18_15.17.06]

Exclamation points!!!

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_02.36_[2013.07.18_15.17.28]

I think whoever subbed this is obsessed with commas.

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_04.16_[2013.07.18_15.28.08]

Because this is what people actually say. Or sing, since this is from a song.

Goodness gracious is the phrase, but it’s also a hundred years old.

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_04.47_[2013.07.18_15.29.08]

This is why punctuating “AM” or “PM” messes things up in subtitles. Or anything written. You need a comma after the PM, regardless of how the rest of the sentence is punctuated.

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_05.10_[2013.07.18_15.31.18]

Hoho, we’re Canadian now, eh?

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_06.16_[2013.07.18_15.32.41]

Oh-hoh! Two hyphens does not make an em dash!

Also, what? Her chest is really full? Don’t you mean “big”?

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_06.47_[2013.07.18_15.33.15]

Yes, for baka Ouji, they say “stupid Ouji”.

While his name may be “Ouji”, this is NOT how you translate this.

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_07.03_[2013.07.18_15.33.33]

Ara, your job is to translate.

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_07.10_[2013.07.18_15.33.42]

The music notes are cute, but we can tell they’re singing.

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_08.08_[2013.07.18_15.34.49]

Yes, because a little kid would talk like this.

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_08.10_[2013.07.18_15.34.54]

Oh, now your em dash is only one hyphen. Nice consistency, being grammatically incorrect in two different ways!

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_08.22_[2013.07.18_15.35.08]

I think you mean “to join” instead of “into”.

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_08.36_[2013.07.18_15.38.23]

“huh” makes this a question.

Also, putting please at the end of the sentence means you need to use a comma before this.

Also, these are two lines spoken by two different people. No alt styling?

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_09.00_[2013.07.18_15.39.05]

Because translating Mirai Nikki to “future diaries” is too much work.

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_09.26_[2013.07.18_15.39.35]

I do think there’s a plurality issue here.

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_09.32_[2013.07.18_15.39.44]

Comma splice.

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_09.36_[2013.07.18_15.39.50]

What. Just what.

“that time to breast-feed”.

I don’t want to watch this anymore.

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_10.08_[2013.07.18_15.40.36]

This is actually a pretty common issue in subs. The “rather than” structure is overused.

These look more like merchandise than souvenirs to me.
These look more like merchandise to me than souvenirs.

Either would be better.

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_10.19_[2013.07.18_15.46.52]

Uwaah! What’s with these subs?

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_11.17_[2013.07.18_15.49.18]

For liking commas so much, these guys do omit them a lot.

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_12.00_[2013.07.18_15.50.03]

Apparently, you capitalize after a comma.

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_12.17_[2013.07.18_15.50.33]

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_12.37_[2013.07.18_15.50.55]

The double exclamation point, the double space after the commas…

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_13.51_[2013.07.18_15.52.56]

Breasts don’t “grow up”. They just grow.

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_14.30_[2013.07.18_15.53.46]

What does this even mean?

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_14.37_[2013.07.18_15.53.58]

So I have some sanity just not a lot.

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_14.52_[2013.07.18_15.54.16]

Mirai Great Poverty! Because we love half translated names! And no alt stlying!

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_14.57_[2013.07.18_15.54.23]

Love the translator’s confidence here.

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_15.02_[2013.07.18_15.54.30]

This is what a TLC is for.

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_15.37_[2013.07.18_15.55.09]

Why on earth are you capitalizing “school”?

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_16.05_[2013.07.18_15.55.41]

Missing comma.

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_17.19_[2013.07.18_15.56.59]

I’m not even going to say anything about this.

If you think this is English, you should stop subbing NOW.

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_17.32_[2013.07.18_15.57.17]

A “twist”? How about a fucking contradiction? Or something else that vaguely makes any sense at all?

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_17.53_[2013.07.18_15.58.57]

Wahuu! I shot myself in the face!

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_19.02_[2013.07.18_16.00.10]

You don’t just trespass something. You trespass “on” or “onto” something.

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_19.26_[2013.07.18_16.00.48]

I need to get there quickly!

Fast is not an adverb. -_-

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_19.31_[2013.07.18_16.00.55]

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_19.55_[2013.07.18_17.44.17]

Apparently, this is one sentence. I don’t know why “although” is being used, especially without the comma it needs.

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_20.10_[2013.07.18_17.44.36]

Wow, what will happen if I get my memory back safely? I DON’T FUCKING KNOW SINCE THESE SUBS ARE TOO SHIT TO TELL ME.

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_20.15_[2013.07.18_17.44.43]

Dear God in Heaven, spare my soul from watching more of this shit.

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_20.24_[2013.07.18_17.44.56]

Missing comma.

Also, I don’t think this is right.

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_20.40_[2013.07.18_17.45.16]

I see this a lot in scripts where the TL is either new or doesn’t know English well.

Just because the question “ka” comes before the name doesn’t mean you can write it like this.

Where are you going, Gasai-san?

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_20.46_[2013.07.18_17.45.25]

Wow, this is unnecessarily wordy. And like someone puked out words.

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_20.52_[2013.07.18_17.45.34]

No matter what, I must write subs in a way that make me sound srs even though it looks like shit.

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_21.06_[2013.07.18_17.45.54]

Comma after conjunction gehwiaofehwaoi;ghew.

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_21.08_[2013.07.18_17.46.12]

HOW you feel. HOW HOW HOW.

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_21.12_[2013.07.18_17.46.26]

if –> is.

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_21.38_[2013.07.18_17.51.42]

Look, stuff like this doesn’t even need to be subbed. I have ears.

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_21.46_[2013.07.18_17.51.54]

Comma after a conjunction followed by something that doesn’t make any fucking sense.

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_22.11_[2013.07.18_17.53.51]

I think watching this raw would be a better experience.

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_24.00_[2013.07.18_17.55.46]

Oh, look! Her name changed!

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_24.22_[2013.07.18_17.56.11]

Comma splice.

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_24.29_[2013.07.18_17.56.22]

This is not a sentence.

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_24.32_[2013.07.18_17.56.30]

Okay, look. Fate is an idea. It’s not a person’s spirit. Fate may affect a person’s spirit, but you can’t call her spirit “fate”.

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_25.18_[2013.07.18_17.57.31]

Wow, this takes sentence parallelism and shits all over it.

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_25.38_[2013.07.18_17.57.53]

Now we go no punctuation at all? Okay, then.

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_26.25_[2013.07.18_17.58.42]

Get rid of the “for”.

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_26.48_[2013.07.18_17.59.07]

> a women

Mirai Nikki Redial OVA (LQ) (360 AAC).mkv_snapshot_27.19_[2013.07.18_17.59.56]

And you capitalize this… why?

Tags: , , , ,

My god.

Xinc1 says:

This must have been hard to finish after watching the first minutes. Either way, it was fun to read your comments, so keep up the good work.

returnity says:

What’s even funnier is the game of shitsub telephone on nyaa with this…
Yours is presumably the same as this initial release:
which was demuxed & ‘improved’ by someone else:
which was then muxed into this new, improved, 50% smaller encode:

Dude says:

“Translator: W or Wii or Wikki something… (I know it starts with a W, don’t got link anymore to credit him/her.)
TL varies. ED not TL’d. A few missing lines that aren’t major and a half-dozen for major lines, some have markers indicating difficulty in translating it so don’t mind.”

You can’t make up descriptions like these.

Progeusz says:

What’s the problem? Many people are happy with them:
“Arigatoooooouuu!!! great to have an issue of the manga included XD
btw anyone knows where I may find the other issues???”

fanta says:

I guess reading a description insinuates some unpleasantness? And none of you three have done anything to make it a better release? It’s been out for a while.

Ooh, [???] staff.

Were you the TL for this garbage?

No, I am not.
And since you recently replied. I am looking forward to Monogatari being reviewed. Is there’s an ETA?

The editor then?

Like a minute.

fanta says:

I came to this website to specifically see if Monogatari had been reviewed yet.

The chance that I also saw Redial OVA recently and this review is also coincidental.

fanta says:

Wow. returnity, so you to are into joining in the mocking trend of this filth that is this site? Well, I shouldn’t call it filth since kokujin-kun, an actual TL has done reviews here and have enjoyed all his posts. Anyways, thought you’d be above that I guess I was wrong.

stushi says:

My god man, wth is your problem?
You’ve replied to almost every. single. comment. on this post, which would be fine if you actually had something valuable to say, but you’re just wasting space like this.
Now I’m doing the same…meh.

returnity says:

Wow it’s almost like you know me personally. Only you don’t, or you’d using your own nick.

For those of us who work hard and produce good releases, it’s enjoyable to blow off some steam joking about subpar releases. If you aren’t actually [???] staff, then I fail to comprehend your epic buttpain. Pls2go.

I Lol’d. Are you serious right now?

jimmy says:

I’m glad I’ve never watched this.

Out of interest, what makes Canadian English a inferior to American English for translating Japanese? Or were you just noting inconsistency in style?

She was talking about the “eh?” It’s a common joke (round the midwest US at least) that Canadians add “eh?” onto everything.

It’s not particularly a big deal in most sentences you’d find in fansubs (for example, it’s a common replacement for “huh”), but it appears off in that line and doesn’t seem to add anything positive to the characterization, but rather drags it down.

Yeah, one of the first things I had to learn about editing into American was that “eh?” isn’t a word over there. While us Britlanders don’t use it as much as the Canadians (ours is a bit more of a specific, nudge-nudge wink-wink usage), it’s still pretty common here. And you’d be amazed how many translators write “eh?” in their scripts, even if they’re native Americans!

Well, no, it is. It’s just not used in every single sentence. “Whatcha doing, eh?” would raise eyebrows, for example. But “Eh, whatcha gonna do?” or “Sure is hot out, eh?” would slide depending on context.

You could probably write a book on it, but tl;dr the line doesn’t make all that sense in this release — it feels outta place.

Calyrica says:

I do frown upon it in general, myself, though. I have nothing against Canadians, but it does have that connotation to us midwesterners. We actually do tease each other for using it. It especially feels out of place in Asian media.

The reason why it’s in translations usually is because “eh” is often used in the original dialogue. But just because they use “eh” doesn’t mean we should. I mean, we all agree that the usage of “ara” is wrong. So why would we make an exception for “eh”?

fanta says:

It does make sense if it’s being spoken in the dialogue…

Calyrica says:

There *are* translations for “eh”. Stuff like, “huh?”, or “right?” or a bunch of other things. By that argument, nothing should be translated, since it’s being spoken in the dialogue!

fanta says:

That’s true it could be translated as “huh?” or “right” but why is “eh” not valid? Just because you or Dark_Sage don’t agree with it does not invalid it. Besides, if you’ve watched lots of anime should already be accustomed to it.

Itadakimasu! Arigato gozaimasu.

(Aren’t you accustomed to these phrases by now?)

Calyrica says:

Dark_Sage has it exactly right.

He’s not.

Oh dear. Seriously, guys, can we not leave the animals’ cages open in future? The little blighters keep escaping.

fanta says:

Finished this post. Just had to quote.

“tl;dr: Fucking subs. I had to sit through these for a half hour. I could have been killing myself instead!”

Really, Calyrica? You “had: to sit through it? I’d thought perhaps you wanted to watch the OVA because well you wanted to finish the series with subtitles?

I, too would feel like killing myself if I had every minor self-induced complaint to whine about. What a deplorable life that must be. How do you manage to stay alive?

Calyrica says:

Haven’t you ever heard of metaphors? Hyperbole?

Also, my OCD dictates that I have to finish what I start. If I sat through the first five minutes, I had to sit through the rest. It had nothing to do with this review.

I manage to stay alive by taking lots of pills. For serious. I take five pills every morning.

I’d take a bottle of them if I had to suffer through a release like this.

fanta says:

I’m aware. Don’t take what I write in anyway. I read dumb negative things like I quoted and write them down for it to be read. Which is rare of me to do.

Lazy-kun says:

What the hell did you just say, I mean I get what you are saying but it’s definitely not proper English, eh.

fanta says:

Eh, if you understood what I intended to write then like me, I guess you just had to write it down for it to be read. Correct? And proper English? Read what you replied to me before writing that.

Lazy-kun says:

2 hours of sleep, so in general my English could be 300 hundred times better but hey sleep is for the weak. I don’t know of anything that I had to write down just to read it, cause you know it’s on a computer screen yo! The eh is a simple add-on cause I’m Canadian and I know Canada speak no doot a boot eit.

fanta says:

I guess it’s some trend nowadays to be on the look out for hidden meanings in peoples sentences instead of taking it for what’s written down.

I don’t know why you had to explain yourself on the eh part.

And is there an ETA for your groups next Yahari release? Not a fan of the work in Haiyore. It’s too Commie.

Lazy-kun says:

Well the blu-ray releases on the 24th, So I’d imagine a week or so after we get it.

fanta says:

OK, thanks for the info. I’ll be on the look out then.

denpa says:

Hey there. I’m the one buying those BDs. It takes between 1 and 3 days after the release date for me to get my disc depending on DHL. However, since returnity and I are doing multiple weekly shows this season, we can’t promise any dates. You’ll know I got my BD when you see the scans and bonus CD on nyaa.

Calyrica says:

> buying BDs instead of waiting for them on share.

You’re one of the great heroes saving fansubbing!~ <3

She probably wanted to watch something subbed in English, not whatever bastardization of the language you vomited up with this release.

fanta says:

She can speak for herself. And thanks Dark_Sage, I didn’t know I released this OVA myself.

I believe her review did. I’m just attempting to help you understand it since her words may have been too kind to make enough of an impact.

fanta says:

What are you talking about?

It’s just wasted wit. Don’t worry about it.

John Freeman says:

why does nobody seem torealise that ‘by right, you should be ___’ is a COMPLETELY valid phrase?

‘By right’ is an odd phrase that’s little used, and can aso be used as ‘By rights’, it essentially means ‘in fairness’ or ‘for this to be fair’, so ‘by right(s), you should be dead by now’ means ‘to be fair, you should have previously died, yet you did not’.