Translation Party: [ChihiroDesuYo vs Eveyuu vs HorribleSubs vs Underwater-FFF] No Game No Life (Episode 01)

Fansub Review, Translation Party — By on April 13, 2014 1:13 am

This post was written by Dark_Sage. He is Dark_Sage.

Twitter YouTube   


There’s only gonna be a few Parties this season, but I’ll make sure to do the good ones.

Translation Party House Rules:

Spoiler:
1. Translation Parties are intended to help you make the best subtitle choice for a given anime. Choose which line(s) you liked best by selecting them with the checkbox.

2. I split the Party into two parts — Essential and Extended. Assuming you want to get this shit over with quickly, just go with the Essential choices. I picked these to be the most representative lines in the releases. But if you’re one of those people who want more comparisons to help you come to a decision, go with the Essential choices and the Extended ones.

3. If you didn’t like any of the lines, choose the “N/A” option. The results for “N/A” won’t be automatically tabulated, so you’ll have to do the math in your head. Have my gomens and nasais.

4. A “>” indicates that another character has begun speaking. If there are three characters in a line comparison, I will indicate the third with a “>>” and so on for more characters.

5. Group order is randomized for each screenshot, every time you refresh the page. However, the “N/A” option will always appear at the bottom of the screen.

6. Your results will be summed up when you click the “Get your results” button. Feel free to vote in the poll at the end/post in the comments to let others know how you did and to compare your results with them.

7. Party hard.

 

 

No Game No Life – Episode 01

Comparisons: 9 or 17

Participants:

ChihiroDesuYo

Eveyuu

HorribleSubs

Underwater-FFF

Codes:

{\i1} indicates the start of italics

{\i0} indicates the close of italics

 

 

 

Essential 1.

Two people who were just defeated, talking about Null/Blank.

Audio:

NGNL Essential 01

ChihiroDesuYo :: You think Null is cheating?
>Yeah, I’m sure of it.
>He and his friends are a group of cheaters.
>There’s no way they could’ve beaten 1,200 people with just four of their own.
>Aimbots, dodgebots, and hitbox hacks.
>They’re definitely cheating.

Eveyuu :: So, you {\i1}really{\i0} think the Blank are cheaters?
>Yeah, I’m sure.
>They’re a group of cheaters.
>Otherwise, they couldn’t have possibly won against 1,200 players.
>They used aimbots and auto-dodge.
>It couldn’t be more obvious.

HorribleSubs :: You think the Blanks are cheaters?
>Yeah.
>I’m sure of it.
>They’re a group of cheaters.
>Otherwise, there’s no way they could beat 1,200 people with four.
>Auto-aimers and auto-dodgers. Hitbox manipulation.
>They have to be cheating.

Underwater-FFF :: You think the Blanks are cheaters?
>Yeah. I’m pretty sure they’re a group of cheaters.
>There’s no other explanation to the four of them beating 1,200 people.
>They must’ve used aimbots, dodge hacks, {\i1}and{\i0} changed the size of their hitbox.
>There’s no doubt they’re cheating.

No Subs Better Life :: N/A. They all suck.

 

 

Essential 2.

Narration.

Audio:

NGNL Essential 02

ChihiroDesuYo :: And so the rumors spread further.
Urban legends: They are a form of desire.
“Why,” you ask?
Well, the most boring answer is often the most accurate.

Eveyuu :: And thus the rumors continued to spread like wildfire.
Urban legends… are a bit like wishful thinking.
Because…
In reality, the truth is often less interesting than people wish it to be.

HorribleSubs :: And so the rumors spread even faster.
Urban legends are a type of wish.
Because…
In reality, the least interesting answer is usually the correct one.

Underwater-FFF :: And so the rumors spread even faster.
Urban myths are kind of like a wish.
Because, when it comes down to it, the least interesting answer is usually the correct one.

No Subs Better Life :: N/A. They all suck.

 

 

Essential 3.

Sora and Shiro, being Sora and Shiro.

Audio:

NGNL Essential 03

ChihiroDesuYo :: I didn’t think you’d buy such fancy snacks.
>Nutrition is important.
The human brain only requires glucose to function,
so plain bread is the best value for money.
>Duly noted.

Eveyuu :: Never thought you’d go for fancy rations like these.
>Nutrition is vital.
Sister, the brain needs nothing more than glucose to function.
White bread has the best cost-performance ratio.
>Thanks for the lecture on efficiency.

HorribleSubs :: Never thought I’d see you buy fancy rations like these.
>Nutrition is important.
Sister, the human brain can function as long as it has glucose.
White bread is best, in terms of cost-performance.
>Thanks for the efficiency lecture.

Underwater-FFF :: I’d have never thought you’d buy something this fancy.
>Nutrition is important.
Just so you know, Sis, the human brain can function so long as it has glucose.
In terms of cost-performance, white bread is the best.
>Nice min-maxing.

No Subs Better Life :: N/A. They all suck.

 

 

Essential 4.

Tet, introducing Disboard.

Audio:

NGNL Essential 04

ChihiroDesuYo :: This is the ideal world you’ve always dreamed of.
The game-board world: Disboard!
Everything in this world is decided by simple games.
Be it people’s lives or even territory boundaries!

Eveyuu :: This is the utopia you two always dreamt of.
The world on a board: Disboard!
Everything in this world is decided by simple games.
People’s lives and even national borders!

HorribleSubs :: This is the ideal world you’ve always dreamed of.
The world on a game board: Disboard!
Everything in this world is decided by simple games.
People’s lives… even national borders!

Underwater-FFF :: This is the world of your dreams.
The world of games: Disboard!
This world is dictated by simple games.
The outcome of people’s lives, and even national borders, hinge on them.

No Subs Better Life :: N/A. They all suck.

 

 

Essential 5.

Background: Tet previously listed off nine of the rules of the world. In this line he introduces the tenth. (I assumed you wouldn’t be interested in comparing each of the lists… woulda gotten a bit lengthy.)

Audio:

NGNL Essential 05

ChihiroDesuYo :: And Oath Ten: Let’s all have a good game.

Eveyuu :: And tenth: Let’s all have fun playing!

HorribleSubs :: And ten: Let’s all have fun and play together!

Underwater-FFF :: And ten: Remember to have fun with everyone else.

No Subs Better Life :: N/A. They all suck.

 

 

Essential 6.

A valid assumption.

Audio:

NGNL Essential 06

ChihiroDesuYo :: I always thought that life was an impossible game intended for masochists,
but it’s finally bugged out!

Eveyuu :: I’ve always thought of life as an impossible game. Something for masochists, but…
Now it’s bugged out!

HorribleSubs :: I’ve always thought that life was an impossible game.
A game for masochists. But…
It’s finally bugged out!

Underwater-FFF :: I’ve always thought that life was just an impossible game for masochists, but…
Now it’s gone and hit a fatal bug!

No Subs Better Life :: N/A. They all suck.

 

 

Essential 7.

Sora, baiting.

Audio:

NGNL Essential 07

ChihiroDesuYo :: In other words, you’re scared.
>Come again?
I mean, as long as you don’t actually lose here,
you can always come up with some lame excuse later.
Like, “If I’d really wanted to, I could’ve beaten her.”

Eveyuu :: In other words, you got scared?
>What was that?
Well, as long as you don’t end up losing everything,
you can make whatever excuse you want later.
“I actually won, but I let her off.” for example.

HorribleSubs :: In other words, you’re scared?
>What?
Well, as long as you don’t actually lose here,
you can make up any number of excuses later.
“I actually won, but I let her go,” for example.

Underwater-FFF :: So you’re scared?
>What?
Well, so long as you don’t actually lose here, you can make up as many excuses as you’d like.
Like, “I would’ve actually beaten her, but I decided to let her go.”

No Subs Better Life :: N/A. They all suck.

 

 

Essential 8.

Since this comparison would be hard to make an informed choice on without a bit of background, the odds are actually “1 in 650,000” and Eveyuu’s the only one that got it right.

You know fansubbing’s in dire straits when groups make joints for straight crunchyedits. Worst part is that fixing this is also within an editor’s domain. Editors should look shit like this up and cross-reference with any material available. A quick glance at Wikipedia or a scanlation would tell you what the right odds are.

Audio:

NGNL Essential 08

ChihiroDesuYo :: Impossible! There’s only a 1 in 6,150,000 chance!
>And I just beat those odds.

Eveyuu :: That’s impossible!
The odds are 1 to 650,000!
>So the “1” is what won out, right?

HorribleSubs :: Impossible! There’s only a 1 in 6,150,000 chance…
>And that’s what just happened.

Underwater-FFF :: There’s no way! There’s only a 1 in 6,150,000 chance…
>And that’s what just happened.

No Subs Better Life :: N/A. They all suck.

 

 

Essential 9.

Sora, with a valid observation.

Audio:

NGNL Essential 09

ChihiroDesuYo :: Hey, Shiro.
In stories where the protagonists are sent to another world,
they always try to find a way back, don’t they?
Why would they want to go back there?
>I wonder the same thing.

Eveyuu :: Say, Shiro…
In stories about people stuck in other worlds, the protagonists
do their best to get back to their original worlds, don’t they?
Why would they ever want to do that?
>I feel… the same.

HorribleSubs :: Hey, Shiro.
Usually, in a story, when the protagonists end up in another world,
they try their best to find a way home, right?
Why would they try to go back to a world like that?
>I think so, too…

Underwater-FFF :: Hey, Shiro.
In fairy tales, when the protagonists end up in a different world,
they do their best to get back home, right?
But who would want to go back to a world like that?
>I agree…

No Subs Better Life :: N/A. They all suck.

 

 

 

Decision Point:

  1. Help me, D_S. I don’t want to read any more, but I feel like I have to. Can’t you just remove the extended option and take it out of my hands? (No. Click the spoiler and continue on.)
  2. I think I’m all kusoge’d out. (A wise decision. Head down to the results.)

 

Spoiler:

Expanded 1.

Narrator, narrating.

Audio:

NGNL Extended 0

ChihiroDesuYo :: Of the many urban legends out there,
have you ever heard of this one?
There exists a mysterious, legendary player, who remains undefeated, and achieves record scores.
Since their account name is always a blank,
they are known as “Null.”
They are said to be unbeatable among gamers.

Eveyuu :: There are countless urban legends out there,
but have you ever heard of anything quite like this one?
Having never suffered defeat,
getting unbreakable highscores,
one group of anonymous players reign absolute in all manner of online games.
Because none of their accounts actually have names,
they’ve been dubbed “The Blank”.
Legendary gamers said to be undefeatable…

HorribleSubs :: Of the many urban legends out there,
have you ever heard this one?
A group of unknown players,
who win every single game they play
with scores no one has ever come close to.
Their account names are always left empty,
so they’re only known as “Blank.”
These gamers are said to be unbeatable.

Underwater-FFF :: Have you heard of this urban myth?
There’s a group of unknown players who beat every game they play.
Their scores are out of this world too.
They never fill in their account names,
so we only know them as “Blank”.
It’s said that these people are unbeatable.

No Subs Better Life :: N/A. They all suck.

 

 

Expanded 2.

Sora, in a pickle.

Audio:

NGNL Extended 02

ChihiroDesuYo :: Are you telling me to control four characters simultaneously?

Eveyuu :: Hey, are you telling me to control four characters using both hands and feet?

HorribleSubs :: Are you telling me to control four characters with two hands and two feet?

Underwater-FFF :: Do you really expect me to control four characters with my hands {\i1}and{\i0} feet?

No Subs Better Life :: N/A. They all suck.

 

 

Expanded 3.

Shiro, alerting Sora.

Audio:

NGNL Extended 03

ChihiroDesuYo :: Hey… An email…
>I’m not sure what you want from someone who’s just been controlling four different characters simultaneously,
>but I don’t have the energy.

Eveyuu :: Nii, a message…
>I’ve been playing four characters on four different screens. I don’t know what you want,
>but I’m running on fumes.

HorribleSubs :: Brother… email…
>Your brother’s been playing four characters on four separate screens.
>I don’t know what you want, but I don’t have the energy.

Underwater-FFF :: Bro… you got an email.
>Your brother’s been playing four characters on four separate screens.
>I don’t know what you want, but I don’t have the energy to do it.

No Subs Better Life :: N/A. They all suck.

 

 

Expanded 4.

Shiro, with sleepy loli logic.

Audio:

NGNL Extended 04

ChihiroDesuYo :: It might be from a friend.
>Whose friend?
Yours?
>That’s funny, it sounded like my sweet little sister just made quite the hurtful jibe.

Eveyuu :: It might be from a friend.
>Whose?
Yours?
>That’s weird.
>I get the feeling my beloved sister said something really nasty and sarcastic to me.

HorribleSubs :: It may be from a friend.
>Whose friend?
Yours?
>That’s funny.
>I think my beloved sister just said something really mean and sarcastic to me!

Underwater-FFF :: It might be from a friend.
>Whose friend?
Yours?
>That’s funny.
>It’s almost like my sweet little sister just said something mean and sarcastic about me.

No Subs Better Life :: N/A. They all suck.

 

 

Expanded 5.

Sora, explaining.

Audio:

NGNL Extended 05

ChihiroDesuYo :: Chess is a finite two-player, zero-sum, perfect-information game.
In this game where luck plays no role,
there is, theoretically, a perfect strategy.
But that requires you to process the 10¹²° possible states of the board!

Eveyuu :: Chess is a finite two-player, zero-sum, perfect information game.
In this game, where luck plays no part,
there exists a perfect strategy, at least in theory.
However,
to play flawlessly, one has to be capable of grasping the 10^120 possible states of the board.

HorribleSubs :: Chess is a finite two-player, zero-sum, perfect-information game.
Luck has no part in it.
Theoretically, there is a perfect solution that will never lose.
But… only if you understand
the 10^120 possible states of the board!

Underwater-FFF :: Chess is a finite, two-player, zero-sum, perfect-information game.
There’s absolutely no luck involved.
Theoretically, there is a perfect solution that will never lose.
But that’s only if you understand the 10^120 possible states of the board!

No Subs Better Life :: N/A. They all suck.

 

 

Expanded 6.

Tet, challenging the races.

Audio:

NGNL Extended 06

ChihiroDesuYo :: To the sixteen races who believe themselves to be wise:
put your wisdom and intellect, your fortune and wealth, to good use
and build me a tower of wisdom that proves your
intelligence!

Eveyuu :: You sixteen races who think yourselves wise,
exhaust your reason, knowledge, skills, and wealth
to construct a tower of wisdom and prove that you are…
…indeed wise!

HorribleSubs :: You sixteen races who call yourselves wise:
use your wisdom and wit, your fortune and wealth,
to build a tower of wisdom.
And prove to me…
…that you have wisdom at all!

Underwater-FFF :: You sixteen races who think of yourselves as wise:
put that wisdom to use, along with your fortune and wealth,
and build me a tower that symbolizes it.
Show me just how wise you really are!

No Subs Better Life :: N/A. They all suck.

 

 

Expanded 7.

Sora, baiting.

Audio:

NGNL Extended 07

ChihiroDesuYo :: We’ll play a single hand of poker.
What do you say?
You can still run away.
>Don’t get cocky, stranger.

Eveyuu :: The game will be a single hand of poker.
Well?
This is your last chance to quit.
>Outsiders should know when to shut up.

HorribleSubs :: We’ll play a single hand of poker.
What do you say?
This is your last chance to quit.
>Don’t get cocky, outsider.

Underwater-FFF :: We’ll play a single hand of poker.
How about it?
This is your chance to back out.
>Don’t get cocky, outsider.

No Subs Better Life :: N/A. They all suck.

 

 

Expanded 8.

Sora, trying to get a room at the inn.

Audio:

NGNL Extended 08

ChihiroDesuYo :: How many nights would this get me?
>One night.
I’m really beat.
Could you just tell me how many nights I can {\i1}really{\i0} stay?
If you’re trying to cheat someone,
you should take greater care of your tone and facial expression.

Eveyuu :: How long can I stay with this?
>One night.
Come on, I’m dying here.
Why don’t you hurry up and tell me how long I can {\i1}really{\i0} stay?
If you want to scam someone, you should pay attention to your voice and eyes.

HorribleSubs :: How many nights can I stay with this?
>One night.
I’m really tired.
Why don’t you tell me how many nights I can really stay?
If you’re trying to cheat someone,
you should pay more attention to your tone and where you’re looking.

Underwater-FFF :: How many nights is this worth?
>One night.
I’m exhausted, man.
Why don’t you tell me how many nights I can really stay?
If you’re going to cheat someone,
then you should pay more attention to your tone and where you’re looking.

No Subs Better Life :: N/A. They all suck.

 

 

 

THIS IS A MARKER FOR WHERE THE IMAGES END

 

Who do you want in your party?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

 

Which group had which line (unformatted, lazy-mode Sage):

Spoiler:

Essential 1.

Two people who were just defeated, talking about Null/Blank.

Audio: [mp3t track=”http://www.crymore.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/NoGameNoLife01.mp3″ play=”Start audio” stop=”Pause this shit” volslider=”y”]

NGNL Essential 01

ChihiroDesuYo :: You think Null is cheating?
>Yeah, I’m sure of it.
>He and his friends are a group of cheaters.
>There’s no way they could’ve beaten 1,200 people with just four of their own.
>Aimbots, dodgebots, and hitbox hacks.
>They’re definitely cheating.

Eveyuu :: So, you {\i1}really{\i0} think the Blank are cheaters?
>Yeah, I’m sure.
>They’re a group of cheaters.
>Otherwise, they couldn’t have possibly won against 1,200 players.
>They used aimbots and auto-dodge.
>It couldn’t be more obvious.

HorribleSubs :: You think the Blanks are cheaters?
>Yeah.
>I’m sure of it.
>They’re a group of cheaters.
>Otherwise, there’s no way they could beat 1,200 people with four.
>Auto-aimers and auto-dodgers. Hitbox manipulation.
>They have to be cheating.

Underwater-FFF :: You think the Blanks are cheaters?
>Yeah. I’m pretty sure they’re a group of cheaters.
>There’s no other explanation to the four of them beating 1,200 people.
>They must’ve used aimbots, dodge hacks, {\i1}and{\i0} changed the size of their hitbox.
>There’s no doubt they’re cheating.

No Subs Better Life :: N/A. They all suck.

Essential 2.

Narration.

Audio: [mp3t track=”http://www.crymore.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/NoGameNoLife02.mp3″ play=”Start audio” stop=”Pause this shit” volslider=”y”]

NGNL Essential 02

ChihiroDesuYo :: And so the rumors spread further.
Urban legends: They are a form of desire.
“Why,” you ask?
Well, the most boring answer is often the most accurate.

Eveyuu :: And thus the rumors continued to spread like wildfire.
Urban legends… are a bit like wishful thinking.
Because…
In reality, the truth is often less interesting than people wish it to be.

HorribleSubs :: And so the rumors spread even faster.
Urban legends are a type of wish.
Because…
In reality, the least interesting answer is usually the correct one.

Underwater-FFF :: And so the rumors spread even faster.
Urban myths are kind of like a wish.
Because, when it comes down to it, the least interesting answer is usually the correct one.

No Subs Better Life :: N/A. They all suck.

Essential 3.

Sora and Shiro, being Sora and Shiro.

Audio: [mp3t track=”http://www.crymore.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/NoGameNoLife03.mp3″ play=”Start audio” stop=”Pause this shit” volslider=”y”]

NGNL Essential 03

ChihiroDesuYo :: I didn’t think you’d buy such fancy snacks.
>Nutrition is important.
The human brain only requires glucose to function,
so plain bread is the best value for money.
>Duly noted.

Eveyuu :: Never thought you’d go for fancy rations like these.
>Nutrition is vital.
Sister, the brain needs nothing more than glucose to function.
White bread has the best cost-performance ratio.
>Thanks for the lecture on efficiency.

HorribleSubs :: Never thought I’d see you buy fancy rations like these.
>Nutrition is important.
Sister, the human brain can function as long as it has glucose.
White bread is best, in terms of cost-performance.
>Thanks for the efficiency lecture.

Underwater-FFF :: I’d have never thought you’d buy something this fancy.
>Nutrition is important.
Just so you know, Sis, the human brain can function so long as it has glucose.
In terms of cost-performance, white bread is the best.
>Nice min-maxing.

No Subs Better Life :: N/A. They all suck.

Essential 4.

Tet, introducing Disboard.

Audio: [mp3t track=”http://www.crymore.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/NoGameNoLife04.mp3″ play=”Start audio” stop=”Pause this shit” volslider=”y”]

NGNL Essential 04

ChihiroDesuYo :: This is the ideal world you’ve always dreamed of.
The game-board world: Disboard!
Everything in this world is decided by simple games.
Be it people’s lives or even territory boundaries!

Eveyuu :: This is the utopia you two always dreamt of.
The world on a board: Disboard!
Everything in this world is decided by simple games.
People’s lives and even national borders!

HorribleSubs :: This is the ideal world you’ve always dreamed of.
The world on a game board: Disboard!
Everything in this world is decided by simple games.
People’s lives… even national borders!

Underwater-FFF :: This is the world of your dreams.
The world of games: Disboard!
This world is dictated by simple games.
The outcome of people’s lives, and even national borders, hinge on them.

No Subs Better Life :: N/A. They all suck.

Essential 5.

Background: Tet previously listed off nine of the rules of the world. In this line he introduces the tenth. (I assumed you wouldn’t be interested in comparing each of the lists… woulda gotten a bit lengthy.)

Audio: [mp3t track=”http://www.crymore.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/NoGameNoLife05.mp3″ play=”Start audio” stop=”Pause this shit” volslider=”y”]

NGNL Essential 05

ChihiroDesuYo :: And Oath Ten: Let’s all have a good game.

Eveyuu :: And tenth: Let’s all have fun playing!

HorribleSubs :: And ten: Let’s all have fun and play together!

Underwater-FFF :: And ten: Remember to have fun with everyone else.

No Subs Better Life :: N/A. They all suck.

Essential 6.

A valid assumption.

Audio: [mp3t track=”http://www.crymore.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/NoGameNoLife06.mp3″ play=”Start audio” stop=”Pause this shit” volslider=”y”]

NGNL Essential 06

ChihiroDesuYo :: I always thought that life was an impossible game intended for masochists,
but it’s finally bugged out!

Eveyuu :: I’ve always thought of life as an impossible game. Something for masochists, but…
Now it’s bugged out!

HorribleSubs :: I’ve always thought that life was an impossible game.
A game for masochists. But…
It’s finally bugged out!

Underwater-FFF :: I’ve always thought that life was just an impossible game for masochists, but…
Now it’s gone and hit a fatal bug!

No Subs Better Life :: N/A. They all suck.

Essential 7.

Sora, baiting.

Audio: [mp3t track=”http://www.crymore.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/NoGameNoLife07.mp3″ play=”Start audio” stop=”Pause this shit” volslider=”y”]

NGNL Essential 07

ChihiroDesuYo :: In other words, you’re scared.
>Come again?
I mean, as long as you don’t actually lose here,
you can always come up with some lame excuse later.
Like, “If I’d really wanted to, I could’ve beaten her.”

Eveyuu :: In other words, you got scared?
>What was that?
Well, as long as you don’t end up losing everything,
you can make whatever excuse you want later.
“I actually won, but I let her off.” for example.

HorribleSubs :: In other words, you’re scared?
>What?
Well, as long as you don’t actually lose here,
you can make up any number of excuses later.
“I actually won, but I let her go,” for example.

Underwater-FFF :: So you’re scared?
>What?
Well, so long as you don’t actually lose here, you can make up as many excuses as you’d like.
Like, “I would’ve actually beaten her, but I decided to let her go.”

No Subs Better Life :: N/A. They all suck.

Essential 8.

Since this comparison would be hard to make an informed choice on without a bit of background, the odds are actually “1 in 650,000″ and Eveyuu’s the only one that got it right.

You know fansubbing’s in dire straits when groups make joints for straight crunchyedits. Worst part is that fixing this is also within an editor’s domain. Editors should look shit like this up and cross-reference with any material available. A quick glance at Wikipedia or a scanlation would tell you what the right odds are.

Audio: [mp3t track=”http://www.crymore.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/NoGameNoLife08.mp3″ play=”Start audio” stop=”Pause this shit” volslider=”y”]

NGNL Essential 08

ChihiroDesuYo :: Impossible! There’s only a 1 in 6,150,000 chance!
>And I just beat those odds.

Eveyuu :: That’s impossible!
The odds are 1 to 650,000!
>So the “1” is what won out, right?

HorribleSubs :: Impossible! There’s only a 1 in 6,150,000 chance…
>And that’s what just happened.

Underwater-FFF :: There’s no way! There’s only a 1 in 6,150,000 chance…
>And that’s what just happened.

No Subs Better Life :: N/A. They all suck.

Essential 9.

Sora, with a valid observation.

Audio: [mp3t track=”http://www.crymore.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/NoGameNoLife09.mp3″ play=”Start audio” stop=”Pause this shit” volslider=”y”]

NGNL Essential 09

ChihiroDesuYo :: Hey, Shiro.
In stories where the protagonists are sent to another world,
they always try to find a way back, don’t they?
Why would they want to go back there?
>I wonder the same thing.

Eveyuu :: Say, Shiro…
In stories about people stuck in other worlds, the protagonists
do their best to get back to their original worlds, don’t they?
Why would they ever want to do that?
>I feel… the same.

HorribleSubs :: Hey, Shiro.
Usually, in a story, when the protagonists end up in another world,
they try their best to find a way home, right?
Why would they try to go back to a world like that?
>I think so, too…

Underwater-FFF :: Hey, Shiro.
In fairy tales, when the protagonists end up in a different world,
they do their best to get back home, right?
But who would want to go back to a world like that?
>I agree…

No Subs Better Life :: N/A. They all suck.

Expanded 1.

Narrator, narrating.

Audio: [mp3t track=”http://www.crymore.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/NoGameNoLifeE01.mp3″ play=”Start audio” stop=”Pause this shit” volslider=”y”]

NGNL Extended 0

ChihiroDesuYo :: Of the many urban legends out there,
have you ever heard of this one?
There exists a mysterious, legendary player, who remains undefeated, and achieves record scores.
Since their account name is always a blank,
they are known as “Null.”
They are said to be unbeatable among gamers.

Eveyuu :: There are countless urban legends out there,
but have you ever heard of anything quite like this one?
Having never suffered defeat,
getting unbreakable highscores,
one group of anonymous players reign absolute in all manner of online games.
Because none of their accounts actually have names,
they’ve been dubbed “The Blank”.
Legendary gamers said to be undefeatable…

HorribleSubs :: Of the many urban legends out there,
have you ever heard this one?
A group of unknown players,
who win every single game they play
with scores no one has ever come close to.
Their account names are always left empty,
so they’re only known as “Blank.”
These gamers are said to be unbeatable.

Underwater-FFF :: Have you heard of this urban myth?
There’s a group of unknown players who beat every game they play.
Their scores are out of this world too.
They never fill in their account names,
so we only know them as “Blank”.
It’s said that these people are unbeatable.

No Subs Better Life :: N/A. They all suck.

Expanded 2.

Sora, in a pickle.

Audio: [mp3t track=”http://www.crymore.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/NoGameNoLifeE02.mp3″ play=”Start audio” stop=”Pause this shit” volslider=”y”]

NGNL Extended 02

ChihiroDesuYo :: Are you telling me to control four characters simultaneously?

Eveyuu :: Hey, are you telling me to control four characters using both hands and feet?

HorribleSubs :: Are you telling me to control four characters with two hands and two feet?

Underwater-FFF :: Do you really expect me to control four characters with my hands {\i1}and{\i0} feet?

No Subs Better Life :: N/A. They all suck.

Expanded 3.

Shiro, alerting Sora.

Audio: [mp3t track=”http://www.crymore.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/NoGameNoLifeE03.mp3″ play=”Start audio” stop=”Pause this shit” volslider=”y”]

NGNL Extended 03

ChihiroDesuYo :: Hey… An email…
>I’m not sure what you want from someone who’s just been controlling four different characters simultaneously,
>but I don’t have the energy.

Eveyuu :: Nii, a message…
>I’ve been playing four characters on four different screens. I don’t know what you want,
>but I’m running on fumes.

HorribleSubs :: Brother… email…
>Your brother’s been playing four characters on four separate screens.
>I don’t know what you want, but I don’t have the energy.

Underwater-FFF :: Bro… you got an email.
>Your brother’s been playing four characters on four separate screens.
>I don’t know what you want, but I don’t have the energy to do it.

No Subs Better Life :: N/A. They all suck.

Expanded 4.

Shiro, with sleepy loli logic.

Audio: [mp3t track=”http://www.crymore.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/NoGameNoLifeE04.mp3″ play=”Start audio” stop=”Pause this shit” volslider=”y”]

NGNL Extended 04

ChihiroDesuYo :: It might be from a friend.
>Whose friend?
Yours?
>That’s funny, it sounded like my sweet little sister just made quite the hurtful jibe.

Eveyuu :: It might be from a friend.
>Whose?
Yours?
>That’s weird.
>I get the feeling my beloved sister said something really nasty and sarcastic to me.

HorribleSubs :: It may be from a friend.
>Whose friend?
Yours?
>That’s funny.
>I think my beloved sister just said something really mean and sarcastic to me!

Underwater-FFF :: It might be from a friend.
>Whose friend?
Yours?
>That’s funny.
>It’s almost like my sweet little sister just said something mean and sarcastic about me.

No Subs Better Life :: N/A. They all suck.

Expanded 5.

Sora, explaining.

Audio: [mp3t track=”http://www.crymore.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/NoGameNoLifeE05.mp3″ play=”Start audio” stop=”Pause this shit” volslider=”y”]

NGNL Extended 05

ChihiroDesuYo :: Chess is a finite two-player, zero-sum, perfect-information game.
In this game where luck plays no role,
there is, theoretically, a perfect strategy.
But that requires you to process the 10¹²° possible states of the board!

Eveyuu :: Chess is a finite two-player, zero-sum, perfect information game.
In this game, where luck plays no part,
there exists a perfect strategy, at least in theory.
However,
to play flawlessly, one has to be capable of grasping the 10^120 possible states of the board.

HorribleSubs :: Chess is a finite two-player, zero-sum, perfect-information game.
Luck has no part in it.
Theoretically, there is a perfect solution that will never lose.
But… only if you understand
the 10^120 possible states of the board!

Underwater-FFF :: Chess is a finite, two-player, zero-sum, perfect-information game.
There’s absolutely no luck involved.
Theoretically, there is a perfect solution that will never lose.
But that’s only if you understand the 10^120 possible states of the board!

No Subs Better Life :: N/A. They all suck.

Expanded 6.

Tet, challenging the races.

Audio: [mp3t track=”http://www.crymore.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/NoGameNoLifeE06.mp3″ play=”Start audio” stop=”Pause this shit” volslider=”y”]

NGNL Extended 06

ChihiroDesuYo :: To the sixteen races who believe themselves to be wise:
put your wisdom and intellect, your fortune and wealth, to good use
and build me a tower of wisdom that proves your
intelligence!

Eveyuu :: You sixteen races who think yourselves wise,
exhaust your reason, knowledge, skills, and wealth
to construct a tower of wisdom and prove that you are…
…indeed wise!

HorribleSubs :: You sixteen races who call yourselves wise:
use your wisdom and wit, your fortune and wealth,
to build a tower of wisdom.
And prove to me…
…that you have wisdom at all!

Underwater-FFF :: You sixteen races who think of yourselves as wise:
put that wisdom to use, along with your fortune and wealth,
and build me a tower that symbolizes it.
Show me just how wise you really are!

No Subs Better Life :: N/A. They all suck.

Expanded 7.

Sora, baiting.

Audio: [mp3t track=”http://www.crymore.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/NoGameNoLifeE07.mp3″ play=”Start audio” stop=”Pause this shit” volslider=”y”]

NGNL Extended 07

ChihiroDesuYo :: We’ll play a single hand of poker.
What do you say?
You can still run away.
>Don’t get cocky, stranger.

Eveyuu :: The game will be a single hand of poker.
Well?
This is your last chance to quit.
>Outsiders should know when to shut up.

HorribleSubs :: We’ll play a single hand of poker.
What do you say?
This is your last chance to quit.
>Don’t get cocky, outsider.

Underwater-FFF :: We’ll play a single hand of poker.
How about it?
This is your chance to back out.
>Don’t get cocky, outsider.

No Subs Better Life :: N/A. They all suck.

Expanded 8.

Sora, trying to get a room at the inn.

Audio: [mp3t track=”http://www.crymore.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/NoGameNoLifeE08.mp3″ play=”Start audio” stop=”Pause this shit” volslider=”y”]

NGNL Extended 08

ChihiroDesuYo :: How many nights would this get me?
>One night.
I’m really beat.
Could you just tell me how many nights I can {\i1}really{\i0} stay?
If you’re trying to cheat someone,
you should take greater care of your tone and facial expression.

Eveyuu :: How long can I stay with this?
>One night.
Come on, I’m dying here.
Why don’t you hurry up and tell me how long I can {\i1}really{\i0} stay?
If you want to scam someone, you should pay attention to your voice and eyes.

HorribleSubs :: How many nights can I stay with this?
>One night.
I’m really tired.
Why don’t you tell me how many nights I can really stay?
If you’re trying to cheat someone,
you should pay more attention to your tone and where you’re looking.

Underwater-FFF :: How many nights is this worth?
>One night.
I’m exhausted, man.
Why don’t you tell me how many nights I can really stay?
If you’re going to cheat someone,
then you should pay more attention to your tone and where you’re looking.

No Subs Better Life :: N/A. They all suck.

Grade:
Show:
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

45 Comments

Dark_Sage says:

Overall scores…
ChihiroDesuYo: 3 times
Eveyuu: 6 times
HorribleSubs: 1 time
Underwater-FFF: 5 times
Looks like your best bet is Eveyuu

I watched Eveyuu’s and went with them by a hair here. Course, I ain’t really keen on going with a group that can’t even translate numbers correctly, so I’d lean Eveyuu even if the party gave different numbers.

jabashque says:

>Which group had which line (unformatted, lazy-mode Sage)

Forgot the lines there, D_S.

Dark_Sage says:

Every goddamn time. Fix’d.

Pacific_Eos says:

Speaking of numbers, did you transcribe ChihiroDesuYo for Expanded 5 correctly? The number in “But that requires you to process the 10¹²° possible states of the board!” reads “ten to the twelfth degrees” as it’s shown on my screen.

And I too lean toward Eveyuu (9 out of 17 lines), but I think only Underwater-FFF correctly TL’d Essential 6 as “Now it’s gone and hit a fatal bug!” All the rest had “…bugged out” which is slang for “decamped” and that seems like a major error to me.

Dark_Sage says:

I just straight up copied it. If the zero looks weird, that’s just what they decided to go with from a text perspective. I’m sure it looks okay in their release, but I’m not redownloading it just to check that.

Fuwaa says:

In gamer terms, “bugged out” is just a shorter way of saying “hit a fatal bug”. If you lag out, you get kicked out of the game due to lag. If you bug out, you get kicked out of the game due to errors.

As someone who’s played a number of betas, I’ve seen “bugged out” much more often than “hit a fatal bug”.

Xythar says:

UW-FFF are also the only ones to TL Essential 3 correctly (in my opinion), since she uses netspeak (効率厨乙) that could be literally translated as “gj efficiencyfag” or something. Dunno where “lecture” or “duly noted” comes from.

You could probably argue the same for Essential 7. The UW-FFF line is correct, DDY is sort of right, and CR/EY get it wrong (in the same way, I might add).

Anon says:

I don’t know enough Japanese to say what was actually being said in Japanese for Essential 7, but if you ask me ChihiroDesuYo’s line makes the most sense contextually in English. Before that (at least in Underwater-FFF’s, the one I watched) Sora mentions that she isn’t entering, so “I could have beaten her if I wanted to” makes more sense to me than “I could have beat her, but I let her go” when she was never in the running to begin with and thus couldn’t have let her go.

Again, purely from an English standpoint; just because it makes more sense doesn’t make it what’s actually said in the Japanese.

Solaristics says:

Overall scores…
ChihiroDesuYo: 1 time
Eveyuu: 1 time
HorribleSubs: 0 times
Underwater-FFF: 8 times
Looks like your best bet is Underwater-FFF

Watched HorribleSubs release btw.

rwn says:

I’m too lazy to do this, just give me reviews.

Yanaro says:

Overall scores…
ChihiroDesuYo: 3 times
Eveyuu: 2 times
HorribleSubs: 2 times
Underwater-FFF: 3 times
It’s a tie between ChihiroDesuYo and Underwater-FFF
I don’t really care about something that i’ll never remember so any of them is fine i guess.

elenrod says:

Wow, a review and a TL party. It’s like this site is for fansub reviews or something.

Overall scores…
ChihiroDesuYo: 5 times
Eveyuu: 7 times
HorribleSubs: 2 times
Underwater-FFF: 7 times
It’s a tie between Eveyuu and Underwater-FFF

Eveyuu was my release of choice, and I’m glad the maths bear it out, but I don’t know how they missed ‘hitbox hack/cheat’ in Essential 1…

Rekyu says:

Well, thing is, “hitbox hack/cheat” wasn’t a part of the line. The two things he describes are bots for avoiding lines of fire and aimbots, respectively. Both of those could incorporate hitbox manipulation, I suppose, but don’t confuse him to be mentioning three things when it’s really only two.

elenrod says:

Ah, I see. I tried listening to the line repeatedly, but realised I didn’t really know what any of those terms are in Japanese. ┐( ̄ー ̄)┌

Anon says:

ChihiroDesuYo: 9 times
Eveyuu: 11 times
HorribleSubs: 7 times
Underwater-FFF: 4 times
Looks like your best bet is Eveyuu

Considering that “1 in 650,000” thing, guess I’m fine with the outcome.
Underwater-FFF, what are you doing…

cheshyre says:

Overall scores…
ChihiroDesuYo: 8 times
Eveyuu: 1 time
HorribleSubs: 4 times
Underwater-FFF: 2 times
Looks like your best bet is ChihiroDesuYo

The only release I haven’t watched is Eveyuu. Probably shouldn’t bother.

Rayumara says:

Overall scores…
ChihiroDesuYo: 2 times
Eveyuu: 4 times
HorribleSubs: 0 times
Underwater-FFF: 3 times
Looks like your best bet is Eveyuu

Well, doesn’t that look decisive… >.>

Kawwmoi says:

Overall scores…
ChihiroDesuYo: 5 times
Eveyuu: 12 times
HorribleSubs: 12 times
Underwater-FFF: 6 times
It’s a tie between Eveyuu and HorribleSubs

Kind of fitting that all the groups doing this show are co-ops.

zsax says:

>all the groups doing this show are co-ops.
So bad commie isn’t doing any joints nowadays https://c.milkteafuzz.com/index.html#/shows/53459341ce97bc74d6006c59

Dexior92 says:

Commie have a co-op with Crunchyroll :>

a_sh says:

ChihiroDesuYo: 4 times
Eveyuu: 6 times
HorribleSubs: 2 times
Underwater-FFF: 5 times
Looks like your best bet is Eveyuu

I watched Underwater-FFF’s, but maybe I’ll reconsider, if Eveyuu’s typesetting is OK.

Mocha says:

ChihiroDesuYo: 5 times
Eveyuu: 5 times
HorribleSubs: 7 times
Underwater-FFF: 5 times
Looks like your best bet is HorribleSubs

Somehow I feel bad about liking CR translations over fansubs, even if these fansubs are all CR edits. ChihiroDesuYo’s translation of kuuhaku as “Null” was very nice, while Eveyuu’s karaoke for the OP was awesome, even if subtitles were coloured weirdly and hard to read.

Anonymous says:

I’m pretty sure Eveyuu isn’t a CR edit.

puddi says:

can confirm.

source: is CR.

alt0 says:

Overall scores…
ChihiroDesuYo: 1 time
Eveyuu: 4 times
HorribleSubs: 1 time
Underwater-FFF: 3 times
Looks like your best bet is Eveyuu

Not really surprising, considering I watched Underwater-FFF and Eveyuu already

dude says:

Overall scores…
ChihiroDesuYo: 3 times
Eveyuu: 3 times
HorribleSubs: 2 times
Underwater-FFF: 1 time
It’s a tie between ChihiroDesuYo and Eveyuu

Interesting.
Already watched Horriblesubs though. Maybe I should switch.

jabashque says:
Spoiler:
For question 1 you chose No Subs Better Life
For question 2 you chose Eveyuu
For question 3 you chose ChihiroDesuYo
For question 4 you chose ChihiroDesuYo
For question 5 you chose Underwater-FFF
For question 6 you chose Underwater-FFF
For question 7 you chose Underwater-FFF
For question 8 you chose Eveyuu
For question 9 you chose Eveyuu
For question 10 you chose Eveyuu
For question 11 you chose Eveyuu and Underwater-FFF
For question 12 you chose Underwater-FFF
For question 13 you chose Underwater-FFF
For question 14 you chose Eveyuu
For question 15 you chose Eveyuu and HorribleSubs
For question 16 you chose Eveyuu
For question 17 you chose Eveyuu and HorribleSubs

Overall scores…
ChihiroDesuYo: 2 times
Eveyuu: 9 times
HorribleSubs: 2 times
Underwater-FFF: 6 times
Looks like your best bet is Eveyuu

Well.
Should I actually switch to Eveyuu, especially when Underwater-FFF’s is more aesthetically pleasing (besides the double typesets)? I mean, if Underwater-FFF doesn’t do TLC, then yeah, I’ll switch, but if they do…?

Someone says:

Overall scores…
ChihiroDesuYo: 1 time
Eveyuu: 3 times
HorribleSubs: 7 times
Underwater-FFF: 0 times
Looks like your best bet is HorribleSubs.

How to even mistake 650,000 (rokujuu goman) for 6,150,000 (roppyaku juugoman) (if my Japanese is correct)?

dude says:

Step 1) CR Translator makes a typo
Step 2) All other groups just have some guys who don’t know Japanese reword the CR script a bit.
Step 3) Non-profit… or loss, or whatever. I forgot where I was going with this.

Nerv says:

Glad I picked Eveyuu…
Is Underwater-FFF doesn’t have any decent editors?

Solaristics says:

>Is Underwater-FFF doesn’t have any decent editors?

English please.

Fuwaa says:

Watching too much fansubbed anime will do that to you.

Anony says:

Too much = any, in this case.

Googol says:

Do you need an editor for posting here?

Anon says:

http://puu.sh/8dYzs.png

Oh boy, I sure am glad that I picked the group that can’t translate nor edit!

Fuwaa says:

Darksage’s take on that line:

Since this comparison would be hard to make an informed choice on without a bit of background, the odds are actually “1 in 650,000″ and Eveyuu’s the only one that got it right.

So which of the other three groups did you pick?

Anon says:

Commie :^)

Fuwaa says:

Ouch. My condolences!

Shiro_Neku says:

Weird I select more Underwater-FFF lines doing the comparison yet I watched episode 3 twice so i could compare both Underwater-FFF and Eveyuu and i end up liking Eveyuu translation more that CR edits ( ´_ゝ`)

Rekyu says:

I applaud you for watching the v0. I couldn’t bear to actually watch it again after I translated it (the cheap laughs were worth it though). v1 soon.

nobunafx says:

Underwater-FFF (40%, 106 Votes)
Eveyuu (24%, 64 Votes)
HorribleSubs (15%, 40 Votes)
ChihiroDesuYo (9%, 25 Votes)

waw

givensp says:

Overall scores…
ChihiroDesuYo: 3 times
Eveyuu: 5 times
HorribleSubs: 11 times
Underwater-FFF: 3 times
Looks like your best bet is HorribleSubs

Noihara says:

Overall scores…
ChihiroDesuYo: 3 times
Eveyuu: 3 times
HorribleSubs: 2 times
Underwater-FFF: 1 time
It’s a tie between ChihiroDesuYo and Eveyuu

D says:

Overall scores…
ChihiroDesuYo: 2 times
Eveyuu: 3 times
HorribleSubs: 1 time
Underwater-FFF: 4 times
Looks like your best bet is Underwater-FFF

Welp says:

>Underwater-FFF :: There’s no way! There’s only a 1 in 6,150,000 chance…
SallySubs for BD, then.
Sorry Squiggy!!!

Leave a Comment