[Funimation vs Fansubbing] High School DxD BorN (Episode 03)

Fansub Review, Spring 2015, Subtitle Comparison — By on May 16, 2015 8:32 pm

Breasts or nipples? Come now, DxD. You know we’re gonna choose both.

Look at what Funimation did to my waifu’s beautiful fucking face.

[HorribleSubs] Highschool DxD BorN - 03 [720p].mkv_snapshot_12.14_[2015.05.16_16.10.37]

What the fuck is up with these lines? She’s an onee-san, not a fucking hag.

FFF and Hiryuu managed to avoid the issue because their encoders are competent as far as encoders go:

[FFF] Highschool DxD BorN - 03 [970AC4A7].mkv_snapshot_11.37_[2015.05.16_16.09.47] [Hiryuu] High School DxD BorN - 03 [720p H264 AAC][0EDEBB79].mkv_snapshot_11.38_[2015.05.16_16.10.11]

As for which is FFF’s and which is Hiryuu’s… well, it really doesn’t matter. The quality’s about the same.

Funi’s timing is fucked, and you can’t blame this on the HorribleSubs rip process, since this shit’s hardsubbed.

[HorribleSubs] Highschool DxD BorN - 03 [720p].mkv_snapshot_15.04_[2015.05.16_17.47.33] [HorribleSubs] Highschool DxD BorN - 03 [720p].mkv_snapshot_15.06_[2015.05.16_15.07.45]

Normally I wouldn’t give a shit about the timing, but when lines are bleeding into MY FUCKING WAIFU THEN YES WE HAVE A FUCKING PROBLEM.

[Hiryuu] High School DxD BorN - 03 [720p H264 AAC][0EDEBB79].mkv_snapshot_18.42_[2015.05.16_17.00.51]

lol who cares? It’s not the dialogue I’m jerking off to.

While we’re speaking of audio, I hope the next time a Funimation dev puts on their Beats headphones, there’s a hissing cockroach in one of the earpads. Maybe that’ll teach them to fuck with another man’s lawfully wedded bodypillow, those rude cunts.

Boobies – v.Funimation

Funimation made sure we wouldn’t get the same uncensored release the Japanese audience gets, likely because they’re targeting little kids with their low-effort simulcasts. Retrospectively, this isn’t much of a surprise, as half their VAs are probably on a sex offender registry.

[HorribleSubs] Highschool DxD BorN - 03 [720p].mkv_snapshot_12.41_[2015.05.16_14.52.15] [HorribleSubs] Highschool DxD BorN - 03 [720p].mkv_snapshot_17.02_[2015.05.16_15.33.33] [HorribleSubs] Highschool DxD BorN - 03 [720p].mkv_snapshot_18.30_[2015.05.16_15.35.23] [HorribleSubs] Highschool DxD BorN - 03 [720p].mkv_snapshot_21.00_[2015.05.16_15.44.30]

Nobody with a working libido should find this acceptable.

Boobies – v.FFF/Hiryuu

This is probably the only point in the past three years where fansubbers have actually operated in their viewers’ best interests. God bless piracy, for without it there’d be no chests or booty.

NSFW, obv:

[FFF] Highschool DxD BorN - 03 [970AC4A7].mkv_snapshot_12.05_[2015.05.16_16.53.36] [FFF] Highschool DxD BorN - 03 [970AC4A7].mkv_snapshot_16.26_[2015.05.16_16.54.48] [FFF] Highschool DxD BorN - 03 [970AC4A7].mkv_snapshot_17.54_[2015.05.16_16.55.23] [Hiryuu] High School DxD BorN - 03 [720p H264 AAC][0EDEBB79].mkv_snapshot_20.24_[2015.05.16_18.01.48]

And… some bonus screens:

[Hiryuu] High School DxD BorN - 03 [720p H264 AAC][0EDEBB79].mkv_snapshot_17.43_[2015.05.16_20.57.04] [Hiryuu] High School DxD BorN - 03 [720p H264 AAC][0EDEBB79].mkv_snapshot_17.52_[2015.05.16_20.57.18] [Hiryuu] High School DxD BorN - 03 [720p H264 AAC][0EDEBB79].mkv_snapshot_20.21_[2015.05.16_20.57.46] [Hiryuu] High School DxD BorN - 03 [720p H264 AAC][0EDEBB79].mkv_snapshot_20.25_[2015.05.16_20.59.32] [Hiryuu] High School DxD BorN - 03 [720p H264 AAC][0EDEBB79].mkv_snapshot_20.30_[2015.05.16_20.58.30] [Hiryuu] High School DxD BorN - 03 [720p H264 AAC][0EDEBB79].mkv_snapshot_20.34_[2015.05.16_20.59.01] [Hiryuu] High School DxD BorN - 03 [720p H264 AAC][0EDEBB79].mkv_snapshot_20.47_[2015.05.16_20.59.11]

As Funimation censored not only the nudity, but also the quality, there is no reason to watch Funimation’s visually impaired release. Well, unless watching people get paid to fail at simple jobs is your fetish.

When it comes to FFF or Hiryuu, the awkward cat puns lead me to believe you’re better off without Hiryuu:

FFF vs Hiryuu

[Hiryuu] High School DxD BorN - 03 [720p H264 AAC][0EDEBB79].mkv_snapshot_14.54_[2015.05.16_20.00.58]

Still, you’re probably gonna watch the show without subs anyway, so you should be fine just picking up the first non-Funimation release.

And that's this mahou_seiji's recommendation.

And that’s this mahou_seiji’s recommendation. Miru miru~

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Denpa-san says:

Damn you for reviewing this instead of Nisekoi s2.

I imagine you’ll be even more excited about the next review I have planned. <3

HUNTA says:

Wait, you mean there’s something to review in Nisekoi S2 that wasn’t covered in the S1 review?

Well, I meant in that particular line that I wasn’t gonna be reviewing Nisekoi next.

Based on the poll, though, people want Nisekoi reviews. We’ll see if my initial evaluations still stand.

thecowgoesmoo says:

Oh, paw-lease: “Onee-chan is very mew-ved.”

>I’m not the dialogue I’m jerking off to.

I’m not the post, either.

Proofreading strikes again!

Abunja says:

>the past three years where fansubbers have actually operated in their viewers’ best interests.

I think I’m missing out something. What has occurred then?

You have bad memory or something? We just had a post on this.

Abunja says:

So let’s see, 2012? Is it the year when DxD first aired? But it’s not anywhere recent, so yeah, maybe my memory should take the blame. Though, I’m not so sure if that was uncensored, since I’m not watching this series anyway because of the plot.

I get that you’re ESL, but that’s no excuse for being this illiterate.

Abunja says:

I see, I know what you mean now. I never thought that you mean ‘best interest’ would be in general. Of course, I knew your recent article about it. I just thought you were joking because its been a while since I saw an uncensored anime. Because recently, even some shows that airs in Japan share the same censorship.

Assirra says:

When will subbers learn that most of the time cat puns are not translatable without sounding really dumb?
It’s just the Japanese language that gives you the ability to put nya after stuff without completely ruining the word.

Is it uncensored on free channels in Japan?

PP says:

It’s only uncensored on AT-X, wether that’s free or not I have no idea, probably not though.

dude says:

AT-X is a premium channel specializing in anime in general and anime with the kind of content that’d get censored on other channels in particular.

Ash says:

Please tell me the Hiryuu release translates “akuma” as something other than “devil” and “Maou” as something other than “Satans.” I’m assuming those are things from the Funi release that FFF was too lazy to improve, but that’s baseless conjecture on my part. Granted, it doesn’t really matter in a show with a “plot” like this, but, hey.

Going through 03’s script, I see “devil” but no “Satan”. I’d check other episodes but I’ve already deleted them.

pi says:

I FUCKING HATE FUNIMATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this shit is a joke, funimation, if you’re reading this, go fuck yourself (even if you technically can’t)

this shit is worse than the terrible quality fansubs from 10 years ago

thanks dark, i really needed those boobs, my rage………

lotusgg says:

QQwerty says:

Wow, I guess even universal mathematical constants have their bad days.

Alter says:

Can you review Yahari, too? I think sub of Commie is awful according to Horriblesubs or maybe it happens because I’m not native speaker. Especially, 6th episode and forth.
Thanks in advance.

CoffeeFlux says:

uh, it’s the other way around

the official subs for oregairu are pretty rough, both in terms of translation and editing

judging translation quality by the official translation when futsuu is translating the fansub is usually a poor idea

Alter says:

Yeah, it’s rough, but it can be understood very well actually. Besides, I cannot say I understand futsuu part either, you say fansub is poor idea but still commie is better? (or who is Futsuu)
Sorry, I ask many. :D
If I should give a example in episode 6, I understand what annoying guys said at horriblesubs, but at commie, I cannot understand very well, language is too nonsense for me.
Again, sorry if I bother you.

Listening to CoffeeFlux about anything fansub-related is a pretty bad idea.

As far as Yahari goes, it’s been pretty high on my list for a while, but I was waiting for FFF to catch up.

pi says:

you’re gonna have to wait quite a while then, they like taking their time

Period says:

Lol I assume you’re talking about these guys? (ep6 spoiler)

If you had trouble with Commie’s episode 6 it was because these guys were all talking nonsense and Commie expressed it pretty well. You weren’t supposed to understand what they were talking about lol

I didn’t watch HS so I don’t know what the official subs did, but I’m pretty sure what Commie did was accurate.

Patient0 says:

Remember when Cubeupload was fast? No. Because they’ve always been the slowest piece of shit host ever.

Orco says:

Funi has no boobs, therefore, you shouldn’t watch funi.
That’s enough for me, thanks XD

Fansubbers should be careful when translating Kuroka’s speech because D_S won’t like it lol

lotusgg says:

Whoever’s watching that for whatever be the reason that is not boobs, should go with funi

Orco says:

Yeah, this is why I watch fansubs

DxD itself is fine without boobies, but I don’t want censorship goes in my way if there are boobies flying around in plain sight. :v

CoffeeFlux says:

“DxD itself is fine without boobies”
clearly you have incredibly low standards, because this season has lost the slight semblance of plot that previous ones had

HyakuPercent says:

>DxD itself is fine without boobies

Did you just say that? You cannot have DxD without boobs. Without boobs, there is no way for the story to progress!

Orco says:

Oops.. my bad xP

Zalis says:

“As Funimation censored not only the nudity, but also the quality, there is no reason to watch Funimation’s visually impaired release.”

Um, what? Funimation didn’t censor this, they just received the non-ATX broadcast version from the licensors, just like Dragonar, Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero and a bunch of other ecchi shows. And afaik Funi’s DxD DVDs and Blu-Rays are uncensored.

Funimation is providing the censored version when there is an uncensored version available. If they didn’t contract for the best version, I don’t see why I should sit here and vehemently defend their broken contracting process — if they really wanted to provide their viewers with the uncensored option, they would have.

Also, yes, their BDs are generally uncensored, but I don’t see what the fuck kinda point there is to bring that up. I’m critiquing their simulcasting effort, not their physical releases.