Doki Doki Literature Club Is the Cancer That Finally Killed Anime

Article, Video Games — By on November 2, 2017 1:20 pm

Twitter YouTube

Undertale + Hatoful Boyfriend – Originality =

Doki❤ Doki❤ Literature Club! The Game

When I first discovered I was about to play some vidya made by a guy who looked like he was cosplaying the contents of a McDonald’s fryer, I should have known what I was getting into.

Silicon valley personified

Yet it was only when the game finished installing that I fully realized my mistake, as I was instantly subjected to a thousand warnings of muh triggers.

Once is enough, devs. With three tumblr callsigns, I sure as fuck better be heading into A Serbian Game. Yet it was not to be.

Continuing on, but with the sinking feeling I’d be subjected to some shit about as edgy as a circle, I started a new game. …And was immediately beset by music so fucking bad I had to play the entirety of the game on mute.

Here, you suffer too:

Doki Doki is “free”, but make no mistake, you’re paying a significant fee by draining yourself of the 3-4 hours it takes to finish tolerating it. Plus however much the eardrum surgery is.

Seeing as it was my generation of weebs who let the reddit cancer metastasize into the intolerable Crunchyroll kids, I can only atone by warning those literate enough to listen that this is not a game worth playing.

Gameplay

Minigame 1

Though I labeled this Minigame 1, it is also the only minigame. Protip: your choices don’t matter here, nor do they matter during the visual novel sections. Click randomly and save yourself some time.

Art

Players are subjected to a constant recycling of low-budget character cutouts, and backgrounds that look pulled directly from a free VN software package.

Blurry, like a night at Cosby’s.

But just when you think the game’s $100 budget was spent entirely on blow-ups, there’s HQ art displaying the likes of Miss Frog-eyes here:

No she doesn’t.

Doki Doki Lit Club is what results when art teachers don’t tell students “no”.

Characters

N/A.

The girls aren’t characters so much as a splattering of cheap tropes, plastered together by someone whose only experience with anime was the bits of conversation he ignored from that morbidly obese chick in high school who wore cat ears every fucking day.

Writing

Rather ironic that a game about literature is so poorly written.

False.

Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if this script was written by an elementary schooler. A stupid one.

Every fucking line has either a “really” or a “just” in it, with laziness permeating through every fucking word. Hell, these two were back to back:

Some of the masturbatory dialogue finds its way into the dark comedy realm at least…

Though it’s not the kind of comedy you laugh with. Check how blatantly oblivious author-kun is:

It’s a sick joke for someone whose writing reads like special ed mad libs to give advice to others.

NO, DAN

Hey Dan, you know what voice is? I mean, I know you don’t, but if you did, maybe more than a cursory glance at your own script would make you realize the writing is so flavorless you have no way of knowing who’s talking without their name listed next to the line. Not fucking good.

You’re goddamn right, Dan.

Fuck, voice isn’t even the worst of this script’s issues. Like, this is written by a man whose experience with a thesaurus clearly ended at the words “dejected” and “quizzically”. Was the game written entirely through the aid of Scrabble Junior?

Finally I understand the point of the game’s warning now. No literate would play this shit beyond the first couple hours if they weren’t guaranteed some ~crazy shocking twists~! So better throw that in their face every chance ya get.

What twists they weren’t.

Plot

Normally I’d warn you about spoilers, but the game so desperately gives itself away that you’d think it was a cosplayer.

Good line right, m’fellow incels?

Round 1

Your first run through the game will result in several hours of fucking nothing, followed by spazgirl randomly stating she has depression.

After which, she kills herself no matter your previous actions, and the game goes “oh boy, look what we did there, we gave you a VN where your choices didn’t matter, aren’t we original”.

Sure, Doki Doki Club. Keep thinking that.

Round 2

Not satisfied with draining you of one playthrough, you’re begged to play another round. It’ll be different this time, the game swears!

Do I believe or bereave?

Which would be fine, except the goddamn shitty fucking dialogue is almost word-for-word the exact goddamn same in every scene. Yes I am mad.

Though just to be ~so whacky~ you’ll get superficial glitches thrown at you every now and then.

so dark, so deep, so random (like waffles lol!)

But those superficial glitches are then replaced by real– oh wait never mind that would be too much work.

More bad text and dev “trickery” happens, and then the hot girl kills herself.

Still would.

This sets up the grand reveal that the most boring chick is like a virus or something and she corrupted your Doki Doki Literature Club game just to hang out with you or something.

Basic-chan then stares at you for a couple hours until you get bored and delete her game file. This ends round 2, which was all a set-up for round 3! Oh wow! What could we be in for now?

Round 3

Pretty sure I played through this, since I got the ending credits, but I don’t remember a damn thing that happened. What a fucking mess.

Final Score: -0/10.

Tags: , ,

70 Comments

Humanity says:

Three trigger warnings. What a time to be alive.

D_S always buying quality games. Saw you playing that garbage on steam.

It was free, but the game is a rip-off.

anony says:

Remember, when it’s free, you pay with your time or yourself.

Blaze says:

Ah… You think complaining will help you? If you think it’s absolute garbage, maybe think of different ways to improve it, and actually give some constructive thought. Your words are just as bland and meaningless as DDLC’s script at times, meant as a filler. Just dissing on something doesn’t make you a better person in any way- I came here looking to see if this was an interesting article on the goods and bads of DDLC. And if you retort with “there is no good in the game,” think again.

There is no good in the game.

HeavenlyArmed says:

Welcome to crymore, where being constructive is kinda not the point.

Game is shit. Get over it.

Blaze says:

LMAO I am clearly surrounded by immature people who can’t be bothered to give actual criticism because you’re hungry to release hate and drama.

Honestly, if you don’t give me any very supportable reasons why the game is ‘shit,’ I can’t believe you. At least I tried.

Kojintsu says:

This game sucks mammoth’s hairy balls. Besides what the OP said, the game lacks a reason to fear for the protagonist’s future, I never felt I was with “my life” at risk, in a horror game. Even an indie like Neo Scavenger succeded at making me fear for “my life”, because it’s set in a post-apocalyptic, lawless world, where visiting the wrong place might result in death, and these encounters are very well described, unlike in Doki Doki. And it’s possible to survive sometimes, depending on how you decide to act, there’s not a demigod which breaks the 4th wall to mess with the outcome of things and make you mad. Also, if you want me to protect the club members it would be a good idea to make them act more naturally, similar to a real human being. Old stereotypes and super generic dialogues that haunt the game, are not going to make people very interested in having further interactions with the NPCs.

Mautos says:

…they should act more naturally?

LMFAO my god! did you even read anything or skip the whole plot?
I mean Monika literally says that its awful to live with pre-programmed “girls” that dont actually have a free will, because its just a game and they live from the script.
the game reaches its actual goal to anyone, who really gives himself to the game (which means playing it how it should be played), which is letting Monika be the “real” person from another game, that has a free will, while everyone else follows theyr instructions.
Or in other words, the game gets you to believe that she is actually real, even though you know shes clearly just a character in a game.

If you didnt understand anything in this comment, dont even bother to reply. :)

Unknown says:

Mautos guy, don’t waste your time. I actually think that this site, by being so much rant-based, it’s a troll one. Both the admin and his fanbase already seems worse than reddit, all they have to say is “shit” and “loser”. They’re clearly ranting about this game either because they played the game expecting it to be an horror game (which is WRONG, since the game was meant to be played expecting it to be a light-hearted love story visual novel) and got it all wrong, or they’re just ranting about it to make hate about a popular game, which gets you views which translates in money and/or popularity.

Seriously, don’t waste your time arguing. The few of us that are actually smart shouldn’t be giving attention to such an already cancerous community. Not stopping you from doing that, though.

Unknown says:

Yes, yes guys, I can confirm it.

I’ve read other comments from Dark_Sage and his ass lickers on other articles here, and, judging from their kind-of-(unfunny)humouristic way of talking, I can confirm that this site’s only purpose is to attract people with its articles made of nosense hating towards a game/series/whatever, the users get reasonably triggered, the admin triggers them with more nosense hating comments, thus making a mess.

This website’s users are not worthwhile having a conversation with. Quit trying in having a reasonable discussion with anyone here, this sites is just full of virgin retards with too much free time on their hands. That’s literally it.

Reedu says:

They probably hate it because DDLC was made by an non Japanese developer Dan Salvato which he’s american, and they are jealous, these Weeaboos better stfu about hating on the non japanese and culture.

TarVanimelde says:

I too enjoy low quality VNs where everybody dies. Back to Long Live the Queen, I guess.

Long Live the Queen is great.

EvoRevo says:

>take https://vndb.org/v7738
>make a poorly made rip off of it
>EOPs love it
Of course.
Best part is that this is supposed to be a parody of Original English Language VNs. Let that sink in for a bit.

blurqe says:

Yeah, I’ve heard that game is supposed to be super good. Too bad I can’t read moon runes and it’s never been translated.

[redacted] says:

Sorry that you thought this was a generic fetish game.

Mad Max says:

This is literally a ripoff of Kimi to Kanojo to Kanojo no Koi, holy shit. And I keep hearing about how *original* this shit is?

This is like that time everyone fucking praised Madoka because nobody watched Kamen Rider. Holy shit.

Combaticus says:

This game reached 1 million downloads.

I was horribly bored the first 2 hours and 2nd round that I am reading the same dialogue from the first round I became more irritated. The ending packs everything from this game and throws it into a dumpster fire.

Well fuck you too Doki Doki Literature Club for wasting my time.

Blaze says:

You didn’t have to play it. Did you get ANY meaning from it?

DefinitelyNotMe says:

I Can’t tell whether this is being serious or not.

The only part that’s serious is me giving a shoutout to my incel brethren over at /r/anime

I hope it’s not. It’d be really sad if D_S and everyone in the comments are such joyless, cynical individuals…

The game sucks ass and not in a way I’d jack off to.

Ahahaha holy shit this game has a reddit community

Burn everything

-919 says:

Oops accidentally burned you instead wow how did that happen

Delancie says:

if a trash game like this becomed popular then anime community is dead

Blaze says:

“becomed” 11/10 english RIGHT HERE

john says:

yeah dude keep correcting grammar rather than constructing an argument, maybe then will you surpass expectations past drooling over a boring VN

Kojintsu says:

Oh look, a grammar nazi. You forgot to add a dot in your comment, grammar nazi.

Eh, I didn’t find it to be that bad. Looked it up on that visual novel database, they rated it about 7.5/10 as well.

I think its biggest problem is that everything looks so ultra-generic and as minimalistic as possible. I guess they tried to actively make it that way, but… It just doesn’t work out very well. Either the creator didn’t want to create something more complex and good just to throw it away later on or he didn’t bother to try at all.

For what the VN does, I think it works just well enough, it’s just… I get the feeling it could have been so much better. The scene when that depressed girl hangs herself was really good, unfortunately, that was the only scene in the game that really made me feel anything (other than when that tsundere’s eyes randomly popped out; that made me laugh actually).

Because all that “scary glitch” stuff… Yeah, that didn’t do anything for me. Again, the hanging scene was good; the self-stabbing scene later on was too out of nowhere for me.
I wasn’t bothered by the music really – again, just really generic, boring background music – when the credits song came around, I did find that a little clever, though.

In the end, well… It’s free. The only thing I expect from free games/VNs/whatever is that it works and at least somehow does what its supposed to do.

If they had replaced all that stupid “glitch” stuff with actual horror elements and put a little more effort in everything else, it could have been really good. Either way, I wouldn’t say it’s complete shit, either.

TL;DR: I’d give it a 5/10 or so.

Blaze says:

You make really good points! Sayori’s death was honestly well created, but Yuri’s sudden stabbing was just like ‘what?’ to me. Natsuki’s jumpscare is more cheap, touching on human instincts of fight or flight instead of actually playing with emotion such as the first scene.

However, it’s still a decent game. I agree it could be improved.

Unknown says:

The came could be improved, but I think it’s good as it is. EVERY game could be improved, tbh.

Seriously, could you people just shup up and enjoy the game as it is? It’s one of the only games (of every genre) that actually got me interested in playing it in like… ages. And I never play VNs, just saying.

Also, the game is supposed to be the “Ground Zeroes” of the upcoming new Salvato’s game, since Doki Doki is mindblown for it’s very, very deep lore. “Deep” meaning it’s lore is way deep into the game files to be even be though of by the player. One of the reasons this game is magic.

Ah, I’m actually surprised to see someone that it’s not completely worthless here. This site seems to be the most fucking retarded cancer ever to exist, just look at how “rant-based” this article is. AND THE WHOLE WEBSITE SEEMS TO BE BASED ON THIS. And the admin and his fanbase don’t seem to be any different.

I really suggest to the very few worthwhile people here, just leave this website. It doesn’t deserve us, seriously. Worse than reddit’s community, and that’s saying a lot.

Unknown says:

(this game is supposed to be the “Ground Zeroes” of the new upcoming Salvato’s game, *hence why it’s so short and feels like it could’ve been better, I’ve also read Salvato admitted it rushed it a bit, but I like it as it is. I just hope for more games similar to this come out, even if not in a large number, I mean, this genre seems interesting to me who I never touched VNs before but I don’t want it ot become meainstream, or it’ll become shit, full of predictable unoriginal games like it always happens. Hope you get my point.)

Blaze says:

Ah- in response to your previous statement, they did actively try to make it as anime-esq as possible. It’s because anime tends to have that sort of innocent vibe or stereotype in the world, and it’s trying to fool you as a harmless game.

I agree more effort could be put into smoothing out the visuals, maybe adding more, but art takes a ton of effort. A ton. I have to give serious props to the artists who drew the characters, even if it was the bare minimum.

Blaze says:

Yeah, this game has tons of flaws and is honestly bland at times, but do you really have to diss it? What makes you do this? Like, why? Sure, it’s your opinion, but you don’t even give any constructive criticism- what could be improved, and what is good about the game. Just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean it’s the worst in the world. Don’t be so immature.

Also, the trigger warnings are serious. They touch upon things like suicide and hiding things, and all in all, pretty edgy, but it’s still decent with a decent soundtrack and I am a personal fan of it.

saltybrit says:

Wow, you really are impressive with spouting utter nonsense. You missed the entire point of the game. “your choices don’t matter here, nor do they matter during the visual novel sections. Click randomly and save yourself some time.”

You miss the point entirely! How can you be this dense? The entire point of this section is to further your attachment to the characters so that the twist hits harder.
It doesn’t mean it’s pointless just because it doesn’t make the end any different.

Also, stop trying to hate something just to throw your petty anger out. It’s really not pretty.

Fight me, loser.

Blaze says:

Hey there! If you call someone a loser, you’re actually comparing them to yourself and basically, you’re also a loser. Don’t call people things you cannot prove.

I bet you smell like expired chili.

Unknown says:

Dude, seriously, you’re hopeless.

First of all, I’m not that that much of a fan of this game. I’ve just UNDERSTOOD it (unlike you) and got me informed more about its lore and that’s why I like it.

Second, and way more important:

I seriously hope you don’t expect people to take your “””review/opinion””” as valid, because you clearly haven’t understood pretty much anything about the game.

Sadly, you’ve already brainwashed yourself into thinking the game is shit just because it looks like a weeb VN and because it got popular, so you won’t undertsand anything about it (or about what the few more or less smart people here, including me, have said) and you’ll keep ranting about it anyway.

Seriously, making a website ABOUT RANTING only to get views from the hate. Hilarious, pathetic, laughable and disgusting at the same time, this whole website should be a meme, lmao.

Dood Kook says:

What’s more pathetic is white knighting a shitty visual novel where your choices don’t matter and there’s only one actual minigame to constitute “gameplay” that’s been done before, better, not only in other indie games but as an actual visual novel, spamming the comments with the equivalent of “nuh uh it’s good you’re just a hater.” This game is trash.

Welp says:

lmao, this post will become legendary just like your Monster post.
and yes, this is just rip-off from Kimi to Kanojo to Kanojo no Koi. you weebs should play that shit before sucking salvato’s dick.

mAnon says:

Devs can code.
Devs can write.
Devs can draw.
Devs of this game can try.
But that’s about it.

The game is a mess. Some parts are senselessly prolonged, like act 2 being a “scary” reiteration of act 1 sans the pivotal character, while others are rushed: “Hay, we know each other but we really don’t, join my club” -> “I HAVE A DEPRESSION” -> “Oh, I’m ded”. After that you are told the game is going meta, so the final revelation does not surprise you one bit. At that time I was mostly concerned with the well-being of my spacebar.

Maybe it would be much better if the first act spanned most of the game (it actually does, if you count the act 2, but don’t). Giving subtle hints with the poems (which are actually well-done), allowing the player to know the characters beyond their boilerplate traits, then have some hard-hitting drama, but no – rando suicide in your face half the way. With the obnoxious hints, it has zero shock value. Even worse, the immediate resolution of that scene is to “forget about it”. It just feels more out of place than scary. Did you also notice that her corpse has different drawing style? Seems like the dev had this scene in mind first and then made rest of the game around it.

At first I suspected Monika to be a manipulative bitch, but then she turned out to be a digital overly attached girlfriend. If that was her goal, why bother with the gameplay pretense at all? Does manipulating someone to suicide makes you more likable? We already have a game with a computer girlfriend and glitchy graphics. It’s called SOMA.

The poem minigame is the only choice that somewhat matters in the game. But it also makes no sense. Two girls like muhtriggerwarning stuff (so you end up giving them points at random) and one likes cute stuff. But she also writes not-cute-at-all poems and has an axe to grind with everyone, which somehow makes her most rational out of the three. Even worse that in act 2 the game railroads you into the knife girl (who killed herself because horror), disregarding it’s only vehicle of player’s choice. And then it blocks your fast-forward button…

In the end, the game could be improved if it decided if it wanted to be a dating sim, horror or meta game. It has potential, but being all three at once while pretending to deconstruct all tropes associated with them doesn’t work. Naturally, that would require more focus on writing and actual branches in the story that would make players want to replay rather than forcing them. However, it’s free, portable and somehow made some laymen more aware of “computer stuff”, at least regarding the dark magic of base64 coding.

Poi says:

Sincerely, even the meta stuff (this game’s strong point) is not even that surprising nor unique. I know it was free, but it wasted my time completely.

Mautos says:

So you judge games after rushing trough them and not giving a shit about anything that is called “plot”…
mabey because you didnt expect a dating sim to have plot?
And “a virus that corrupted the game files”? XD Lmao, mabey, just MABEY you could try to actually read the story and see that she (Monika) is actually an character from another game that was hinted in the game files to come out this year, knowing about the whole thing being a game and that everyone doesnt even have a free will exept for herself and the player (not the character in the game, the one who plays the game). Because of that, she tries to manipulate the gamefiles so that she
-first of all has a route in the dating sim
-gets the character that you play to spend time with her
-DONT have the character spend time with the other girls, which doesnt work out at all
and bring you the message trough about the whole story.
Because she wasnt succesfull with that at first she changed the game files to make sayori depressed and unlikable, which almost works out, exept for the fact that she kills herself.
In the short scene of her hanging you see an error message and “see traceback.txt for details”.
In traceback.txt is an error message and a text by Monika, that says:
“JumpException: Oh jeez…I didn’t break anything, did I? Hold on a sec, I can probably fix this…I think…
Actually, you know what? This would probably be a lot easier if I just deleted her. She’s the one who’s making this so difficult. Ahaha! Well, here’s goes nothing.”
After having her deleted, the game script doesnt crash everything, but has trouble replacing her and ends up completely kicking her part out of the game. This kinda glitches the game out, because Monika still tries her best to get to you.
This ends in some other scenes that you… didnt like? To cheap from your perspective?
Btw, another little thing where you were wrong, when she deletes the other two girls, the third act starts, the true ending is the fourth act.
The third act itself actually is pretty boring… If you dont mod it, which goes really easy and quick for everyone who wants more.
And, the thing that was just straight up dumb to say is that most of the text was recycled, theres literally a skip button for that.

So, to actually say it short, inform yourself a bit before talking shit.
Thanks for reading.

Stop fanboying a shit game

Unknown says:

Stop supporting a shitty, lame-ass opinion.

Judging a game by rushing throught it just to rant about it for views sakes ins’t going to make you look any smart, tbh. Referring both to you, the ones who are like you and, of course, the admin.

Seriously, you act like fucking 12s, lol. I’m not even that much of a fan about this game, I’ve just UNDERSTOOD it and that’s why I like it. You guys obviously got spoiled about how the game was, seen that it got popular, and hated on it because “No one did it yet, let’s rant on this game for the most shitty ass reasons and let’s see how people will wreck us!”. Laughable, lol.

Kojintsu says:

@Solaristics
Just ignore him. It’s one of these parasites that only want to waste your precious time.

Unknown says:

Sadly, this happens when a game gets popular. Some fags HAVE TO rush through it to quickly write a shitty lame-ass “””review””” that, of course, has to hate on the game because hate = views. A classic.

That said, the point of the game was to be played WITHOUT KNOWING IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE AN HORROR GAME, but a cute, light-hearted, love story VN instead.
Sadly, by getting popular, everyone got spoiled that this game was more scar than cute, and then everything happened.

About the game, to put it simply: It’s point was to, as I said before, impress the player by making him think that he was playing a cute harem VN, and then slapping Sayori’s feelings and death in his face. At that point, the player first thought the game was finished because the game itself told you so, instead, it continued, and it wasn’t going to get any better (from a scary pint of view, not quality) anytime soon. And all the shit that happens after that, infact, one by one, gets you more mindblowned.

…Except you’re the average ever-raging troll who has to hate on everything popular and MAKE A WEBSITE ABOUT IT to make views and money out of it.

Get the fuck out of the web, seriously, you’re pathetic. Only ONE article and I already understood what this shitty basic-mainstream-review-site-wannabe website of yours is about, and how you (the admin) and your fanbase are. Ever-whining-raging-mentally-underage kids.

The game was indeed simple, linear and actually hard to fully understand without help from other players who’ve played it, but the point is, this game hides A LOT from your sight. Just look in its game files and stuff. There’s lots of stuff that hints at a new game that will probably be the REAL game of Dan Salvato, the game that will definitely explain everything about Doki Doki, which seems to be the Ground Zeroes of this new upcoming Salvato’s game.

In the end, from an objective point of view, this game was pretty much mindblown and well thought. A bit simple but with a fascinating and curious plot/setting. Its heart is based on what’s mindblowing about it (note that with “mindblown” I surely don’t mean anyone’s death in the game, but the game’s whole lore, which is not Monika’s reasons or shit, but other stuff that is WAY deep into the game’s files to be abled to be even thought of by the player, search for yourself if you don’t know what I mean).

A little yet fascinating game that needs everything but hate from a loser like you. Also, “the cancer that finally killed anime” What?! What does this game ever have to do with anime aside from the art-style (which is Japanese VN styled, not even anime styled)? How are anime “killed” by this game in any way?

Shitty nosense title for a shitty nosense rant article of a shitty rant based website of a professional-administrator-of-a-popular-website-wannabe loser.

What more can I say? Find a real job, change hobby, and learn how to do game (or whatever else) critics. You obviously won’t, just like you won’t understand my comment and you won’t change your point of view about anything because you know, Imma fucking lame ass loser, ranting is the only thing that makes me satisfied, who the fuck cares, but I had to share some facts about this poor, lame article of an ever worse website. I’m actually surprise such shit but yet arrogant people (patheticly arrogant enough to make a whole website about rants) actually exist on the internet. Have an ice day.

Ah, the insutls are objective, too. You actually are such a loser, along with your fanbase. Don’t worry, just stating facts. I hope you all don’t get offended, but facts are facts, and have to be accepted as such. Bye :)

Unknown says:

In case you’re too lazy to read (and understand) the comment right above, to put it simply:

You hardly understood anything about the game, it has WAY more lore behind it (that’s what makes it mindblown, creepy and interesting at the same time), and you, your website and your fanbase are laughable, to say the least. The whole idea of being a loser yet making a website based on rants (but not being a troll thus making the website and its articles cringy instead of funny) is already pathetic on its own.

Get a real job, throw your critic and website-admin dreams into the fucking garbage bin and learn and quit trying to be popular on the internet. You’re not worth following.

It looks like the core cause of your infantile rage is that literally everyone but you realized what this game was about before they played it. I guess the onslaught of limp-dick trigger warnings, and the game’s glaringly in-your-face description (“This game is not suitable for children or those who are easily disturbed.”) were not obvious enough clues for you?

Though it is unfortunate that you are so fucking stupid, taking that out on me and the readers of this site is, quite frankly, rather rude.

I will accept an honest & humble apology, though I doubt you are man enough to proffer one. I am sorry you exist as the person you are, and I imagine your parents are too. Kill yourself.

Henry McKnight says:

of course a disgusting furry would hate on a good game.

Yeah, well I had sex with your dad, faggot.

AceTime says:

Genuinely amazed to see some people get this incensed over an article this shit-posty. 10/10 nice job DS

Combaticus says:

From a random youtuber:

“The characters are literally, in the context of the story itself, being manipulated and thus, have no personality of their own. While the only character who still has her personality and character traits, Monika, is just downright a bad character. The only thing going for her is the fact that she’s self aware about being in a dating sim where she herself has no route. It’s just a really lazy way for a writer to make you feel sympathy for the characters, both the characters that were being manipulated and the one controlling them.

It’s the complete opposite of good character writing.”

DDLC is now a meme at this point that rivals Undertale. If I wanted to be spooked, I would have read Higurashi or Saya No Uta or Kimi to Kanojo to Kanojo no Koi if you can read Japanese. DDLC is a mere flash in the pan with nothing value to add. Unless if you’re interested in behind the scenes.

Lmao says:

Must be hard being a literary genius. Good luck with the shitstorm.

people just love to hate on whatever is popular. nothing different about this guy. just wants to be a hipster.

Shitposter says:

[Narcissistic supply attained]

oops says:

Doki Doki Literature Club is a game that is supposed to be different. This “review” was obviously meant for people to hate on it, thus the “review” gains popularity. DDLC is truly an amazing game, and the characters are more in-depth than you think.

In the “review”, you didn’t mention that Act 2 (Round 2) has a lot of creepy and spooky things you’re bound to enjoy. You left this fact out, though, because you didn’t want anyone to play the game. Sure, you might’ve mentioned this feature a bit, but you didn’t get a whole lot in-depth about it.

In fact, your review wasn’t even close to in-depth. Only a few sentences about the game, and then your review was 0/10. The review felt like a 12-year-old who has nothing else to do in life and also dislikes all horror games would write. DDLC is an amazing game.

Instead of saying the game is bad and let it be like that, try constructive criticism. For example:

Doki Doki Literature Club isn’t my most favorite game in the world. It’s not really “psycological horror”, meaning it didn’t terrify me, and the art and writing isn’t all that great either.

However, the game could improve if the game was a bit scarier, maybe more artists and writers (or better ones), and some people to check the game and see that everything is perfect.

See? That wasn’t so hard, and it’s giving valuable information to the creator! Do that instead of what you call “reviews”.

mAnon says:

“The review felt like a 12-year-old who has nothing else to do in life” -> “Doki Doki Literature Club isn’t my most favorite game in the world” Yeah, that’s a writing of a mature person. So much improvement.

TSC says:

And the sad part is, that despite the four freakin’ warnings, despite the ‘wonderfully’ hidden event trigger files, despite Monika breaking the fourth wall constantly solely for wink-wink-nudge-nudge factor, despite the fucking characters talking about the tropes that are about to come, people still act shocked at the ‘big, heartbreaking revelation’. Makes one question if they were even bothering to pay any attention.

If all it takes to charm the weebs is an angsty, lonely ‘waifu’ and a few lines of code I feel sorry for the visual novel community.

mAnon says:

Overreacting YouTubers only pay attention to the pay they get from views. They are the scourge of the Let’s Plays.

But the weirdest thing is that Monika is completely unlikable. So why does she get over 500 threads on 4chan (no, seriously, see for yourself). Is is some kind of BDSM thing? She’s both cruel and at same time she pleads with the player to listen to her rambling. Or is it because of the 4th wall? For me it’s completely the opposite – once you learn that your in-game avatar has ABSOLUTELY no purpose, the game completely looses its appeal.

TSC says:

I think the lack of ‘middleman’ between the player and the character gives the relationship a more intimate feeling and a sense of affection… which I think we all know the kind of people browsing /a/ desperately lack in their lives.

mAnon says:

If someone craves affection from crazy then they are either whacked on the head or never been in relationship with an actual person. This game should be a prime example what happens when you stick your mouse in the wrong port. But no – 80k subreddit ahoy.

DDLC FAN says:

this is trash DDLC IS A FUCKING GREAT GAME

AtleastTRY says:

Since I didn’t even play this game I have no idea if it’s good, meh or horrible.
The only opinion I can have is “oh, the art here is actually good comparing to some manga and VN”.
However… I know for sure that’s a terrible review. With a terrible title.

That “review” is nothing more than bashing for the sake of bashing.
I have actually no problem with that when it’s well done, or when there is something more (humor) but here… no. It’s just blank.
It isn’t instructive nor entertaining. It’s also neither creative, nor funny.
This article is just awful.
Everything was so hyperbolize to made the game look worthless to play that at the end I didn’t even find (or believe there were) a real good, justified argument against this game which can convince me, a complete stranger to this game.

Having so few comments on an article wrote in November about a game I see everywhere make me feel that most of persons didn’t even wanted to waste their time with you, but I’m going to be nice and hope you’re better than what you made yourself look like here.
If you want to have more people enjoying your work my simple advices are:
-Change the way you write your article. (If the rest of this site is like that I don’t want to read more articles here.)
-Change your behavior on the comment. (It really make you look like a disgusting person).

Autistic Much? says:

This isn’t anime though lmao.