You don’t watch fansubs anymore, I don’t watch fansubs anymore, let’s move on.
The contents of this post are directly related to the direction I will be taking Crymore, going forward. Very little of this applies to any of the other authors (which at this point… really only means kokujin-kun), but considering the main output of Crymore is my responsibility, this will have a significant impact on the site. As such, it’ll be stickied for at least an hour, cuz it’s important desu.
I’ve relied on reader feedback for pretty much every notable aspect of this website. So please feel free to pipe up in the comments section. If none of you ever set me straight, I’d probably be just another stupid fucking normalfag by now.
New Direction? Why?
The sense I’m getting from y’all is that fansubs are boring. Even I can’t be assed to watch fansubs anymore and I’m… well, I’m me for Chrissake. While Crymore in 2014 had bigger numbers than previous years (across the board), I don’t believe many people actually cared about the results of the fansub reviews. And if none of you have a horse in the race, how fun is it when I put one down?
Again, I’m bored, and you’re probably getting bored. So we’re shifting gears.
The Proposed Direction
If we look at anime blogs as a combination of four factors, this is where Crymore currently is, versus where I think we should be (conceptually; this isn’t really accurate from an actual numbers perspective):
|Current %||Proposed %|
While I do have the final say, I’m not into alienating my audience, so remember how I asked for feedback earlier? Yeah, please give me it, as hard as you want.
Since the table doesn’t really explain much, let me break it down a bit.
Episodic/Editorial Posts (“Articles”):
I can’t really plan out or detail standard editorials, since those are usually based on current events. But serials? Sure.
- Let’s Read
- It’s happening again. I can’t promise for how long, but it’s happening.
- P-Tuesday Pollday
- Aniblog Tourney 2014
- I never forgot about this.
- Turning Japanese
- Video Games
- Buyfaggery, non-weekly (this shit will generally require me to have access to my collection, and I can’t guarantee on a weekly basis when that’ll be)
- You guys seem really interested in me jamming my dick into onaholes, so…
- Hey D_S Whatcha Watchin’ page -> Hey D_S Whatcha Watchin’ weekly posts
- There is little value to having this be a page by itself. I mean, this was originally a hidden post that only the most curious readers would ever bother with. It only got turned into a page for convenience’s sake.
- As you probably already realize, a significant amount of the value from HDSWW comes from the conversation around ongoing series, which under the current format only gets more and more stifled as the season drags on. This, however, will provide a weekly impetus for discussion. We’ll make it fun.
Niche (Fansub Reviews):
Crymore’s already at the top of the scene; there’s nowhere else to go. The competition’s non-existent (pretending it even existed in the first place) — NotRedReviews failed, SubBusu failed, 8thSin failed, Watashi’s fansub now, Ji-hi failed, Subcompare failed, Fansub.co is dying… Like, really, where’s the pressure to improve?
My biggest (only?) innovation in 2014 was adding in webms. I wanna tear something up, but I’m just sitting here, getting fat off my own success. Fuck that noise.
Here’s my new policy:
- Standard fansub reviews for the Top 10 vote getters, only. Currently, we’re at:
Yurikuma Arashi Death Parade Durarara!!x2 Shou The Rolling Girls Junketsu no Maria(this wasn’t even close to #5, but let’s pretend it was)
- Assassination Classroom
- Koufuku Graffiti
- Tokyo Ghoul Root A
- Kantai Collection
- Translation parties at priority over standard fansub reviews. (These are way, way more popular than the poll results suggest, so putting these at priority is my form of fanservice.)
- Fansub reviews as a whole at a lower priority than articles.
Due apologies to everyone who hoped I’d stop wasting my time on a dead scene entirely.
More authors is generally a good thing. Details forthcoming, but don’t hold your breath, cuz I don’t have anyone lined up.
If you’re interested in applying early, the first qualification is you have to be better than me at something. Sorry fansubbers; “nothing” doesn’t count.
If you thought that was a lot, you might wanna skip this spoiler. There’s a lot of detail that I mostly just wrote to keep my mind straight.