Cons Dark_Sage is Going to in 2014 v1

Conventions — By on February 14, 2014 7:43 pm

Yes, Anime North is on the list. You owe me one, Canada.

Most Probably

Oh Hei you're so Hei

Sakura-Con – Seattle, Washington (April 18th-20th)

Confirmed special guest: Puddi. Also, some anibloggers like Inushinde.

Seattle is Seattle, and I know Puddi’s pretty cool, so this seemed like a no-brainer.

Anime North – Toronto, Canada (May 23rd-25th)

Confirmed special guest: Quite a few of you, it seems.

I really didn’t wanna go back to this damned rainy, miserable convention but I swear to god half of the Canadian population disagreed. So fine, I’m coming. See you there.

On the Radar

Colossalcon – Sandsuky, Ohio (June 5th-8th)

Everyone in Ohio says it’s good, but since Soup skipped the state for fucking Korea, the only Ohiobro I know is Will. And Will can’t wear his scarf in the water park’s pools, so he refused to come.

Maybe I’ll just drive it up and pick some cool kids up on the way.

Anime Midwest – Rosemont, Illinois (July 4th-6th)

I figure if their press staff went out on a limb to invite me, they’ve gotta have their shit together.

Anime Weekend Atlanta – Atlanta, Georgia (September 26th-28th)

Only cuz I’ve heard Atlanta’s pretty sweet.

Not Going

No Thank You

These cons are either soullessly big or I’ve had a shitty enough experience with them to never want to go back.

Though, I did have Anime North on this list until I got a bombardment of “please go”s from y’all, so this is negotiable. But you better have a damn good reason if you wanna convince me to spend time at a con I’ll probably hate.

• Anime Boston (March 21st-23rd)
  • Anime Detour (April 4th-6th)
  • Anime Central (May 16th-18th)
  • Anime Expo (July 3rd-6th)
  • Otakon (August 8th-10th)
  • Youmacon (October 30th-November 2nd)

If there are any cons you’d recommend, do let me know. My conventures usually start from IRC convos, and fansubbers aren’t exactly known for leaving their rooms for anything more than one con a year.

"So I'm gonna be free, and..."

“So I’m gonna be free, and…”

Yeah, sure. I’ll hang with you for a period of time. Just please don’t be special-ed-class weird.

Hit me up:

Or Twitter or Facebook or tumblr or blahblahblah

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

shcboomer says:

Whoa I might get to meet D_S in person.
*hype intensifies*

Pelfmiester says:

I should be going to Colossalcon. It’s the current plan anyways.

Ace. And good call on skipping Ohayocon this year. You must have had the Sight.

TouToTheHouYo says:

Yeah it’s pretty shit SEGA *STILL* hasn’t brought PSO2 out west. Guess they don’t like money. Who knew?

I’m certain Sonic Boom will make them a fortune, though. Right?

I played PSO2 a bunch when it launched in Japland, and while it played well on a gamepad I dunno how well it’d handle on a Vita. The cramping would have to be horrendous…

TouToTheHouYo says:

I’ll need to pick me up one of those and finish off P4G. Wanted one for the longest time for my old, hacked PSP-1000 but you can’t find them for that model anywhere.

Ash says:

I know, right? They were supposed to release it in the west an entire year ago, but no dice. It’s already been completely translated into English from what I’ve read, so they’re just sitting on it.

TouToTheHouYo says:

Not only that, they have a presently active English speaking community, most of whom I’m certain would be willing to jump ship to a local server without ping issues. Not like there isn’t a market for F2P games out west, and we could always use more quality titles on the Vita.

Oh def. I think it’s incredibly smart to try to revitalize a franchise with a TV series tie-in game for the worst-performing game console.

nakkinyan says:

Well, I may go to Colossalcon since I am 15min away from Sandusky. Based on the font and since you said water park I am guessing Kalahari.

Yeah, Kalahari. How’s the park?

nakkinyan says:

I have not gone in but they always have lots of people going there this time of year even though we have several indoor waterparks.

They are popular enough that they completely funded a school sports field, it takes pool access tickets along with a full house to make that much.

nakkinyan says:

A warning, I may pull off an embarrassing stunt one day so you may want to play like I don’t exist on that day.

You would have some good pix for your readers to laugh at if I do it though.

Nah, I wouldn’t put up something that mocks any of my nakama. I am interested in this “stunt”, but don’t spoil the surprise just yet.

nakkinyan says:

That is why I was vague, I have no intention to give it out yet.

yo says:

If you want to piss off the other half of Canada, there’s FanimeCon on May 23–26, 2014 in San Jose, California. It’s decently large as it overcrowds the convention center, & hey, perhaps it’ll be better since it is its 20th anniversary. It won’t be rainy!

Hah hah, looking it up on wikipedia, it’s slightly larger than AnimeNorth. Drat, even typed a massive tl;dr until I thought to check the size.

I’ve consistently heard that the only good con in Canada is Anime North, and that sucked last year. So no, ain’t happening.

Jark says:

Colossalcon – Sandsuky, Ohio (June 5th-8th)

Hot damn. A con the near me /and/ not during the school year?

See you there, Sagey.

I’d go to Anime North and awkwardly meet up, but going to the shithole that is Toronto is not worth it.

I was under the impression that Toronto is Canada’s best city. Do y’all actually have decent cities ala New York or Chicago?

>Toronto Canada’s best city.

Nice joke, D_S.

It’s the only Canadian city I know. Got recommendations?

pondwhale says:

I’m going to second this three months after it’s posting, because Vancouver is just that incredible.

shcboomer says:

I have a feeling I should have said something about Vancouver.

Kuroiryuu says:

If anybody’s going to Megacon(Orlando, Florida March 21-23), I’ll be there.
Tho, I’m not going for the weeaboo shit. I’m going for the comic shit.

Eww, genericons. Nothx to casuals.

Joji says:

Whoa, my number one onii-chan is coming to Canada? Please stay for a week so that I could follow you everywhere. >.<

Jel says:

Awesome, you’re going to Sakuracon. Any way we should know how to identify you?

Some people like to play the “go to panels Dark_Sage is going to and wait for some guy to be obnoxiously loud about sharing his superior opinions” game.

A better option is to email me closer to con time, or hope that I remember and email you. Then we’ll figure out a place to meet (usually a panel or something). Don’t worry, I’ll make the process painless. Whether the con itself will be or not is another thing entirely.

pengu says:

There’s this really cool con 10 mins from my home. It happens every year and about 70% of the people there are clad in the most extravagant cosplay you could imagine. It is also a very international event, as there are people from all over the world. You can choose between many big panels which range from shitty music to expensive rides. Alcohol is available in great quantitys and you don’t have to bother with bronies or other abominations. The best thing: You don’t have to pay, you can go there for free.
It’s called Octoberfest, but you’ve probably never heard of it…

The Munich Oktoberfest, or one of the others? If you’re talking about Minneapolis/Milwaukee, I wouldn’t mind a convention meet-up.

pengu says:

Munich, I didn’t even know there was one in Minneapolis. Even the original is only bearable after two liters of beer. But maybe in this case the copies are better than the original?

Pretty much everywhere in the US where there’s a sizable population with German ancestry will have their own Oktoberfest.

Haven’t been to one yet myself, but I ain’t against the idea.

pengu says:

So many :O
You should check it out, but sadly without me. Don’t cry, maybe another time baby ★

nakkinyan says:

I wish there was one in my area, we have a lot of German and in the area. Though Italians took over. It would be in the same city as the colossalcon, Sandusky.

Ash says:

Aww shit. I’ll definitely see you at AN this year then.
I hope you like hard liquor.

You know it. Let’s stay away from the gut rot though.